Logo

Becoming a Marine Maintenance Technician

JonBonArmy

So I know this is a bit of a random posting but I was looking for some advice and input. I'm 30 years old and about to retire from the Army and looking into my next career. I am fairly set on attending a local tech college to get my certifications as a marine mechanic. Is there any advice anyone has on if you think this is a good career path and if you truly enjoy your work? I'm not coming into the career for money because I will already be receiving my retirement pay. This is just something I have always been interested in and would love to work with and on boats everyday. Please let me know whatever thoughts you might have and tips for future reference. Thanks in advance!

Jon

There's a tech college that advertises on the telly; can't remember its name.

Thanks for your service!

Jeff

Retiring from the military at 30, wow you must have been real young when you joined. :)
I was in restaurant management/work for 20 years, started at 13 as a dishwasher.
I got a part time job rigging boats for a new boat dealership in 1986.
I worked in the AM and night at the restaurant.
I absolutely loved it.
The company I was working for liked the job I was doing.
They said if I came on full time they'd pay me more and send me to school.
I thought about it for about 10min.
Best change I ever made.
One of the most rewarding jobs ever.
Not so much the money but the satisfaction of being able to fix something someone else can't.
If your mechanically inclined and really like it?? Go for it.
There is a school or 2. Google.
Good luck.

Try a different marine field such as generators or fiberglass repair as if you cannot get on at a dealer it had to make a good living out of this, lots of long hours if your on your own. Be careful of these schools like MMI which teach the newer stuff but no old stuuf as I hired a grad for a couple of weeks and he could not remove and rebuild carbs but was a 4 star rated tech...he couldnt fix em as he didnt know where to plug computer into them!!!

i agree with faztbullet on trying a different field...here is why....the diagnosis will eventually be done by a computer..it is already here on the newer models...at some point all a tech will do is replace parts at the computer or support center direction...how much do you have to pay a guy just to replace parts?..

a 45-50 year old with extensive experience on 2 cycle or any pre computer model will be able to finish out a career in fairly good shape...i think its a dead end for anyone younger..

just my opinion...

I totally disagree with the above comments about just being a parts changer. Diagnostic repair is where it's at. There are a lot of older boats in the field to be serviced and repaired.

Don't waste your time on School. I would find a Marina that is hiring preferably a Mercury 5 Star or Mercruiser premiere Marina. If you have aptitude, they will put you through school.

Where are you located? There is an opening here on the Barnegat Bay in New Jersey.

Sorry, but the sophistication of today's motors requires both schooling and modern test equipment. The days of 'figuring it out' on your own are over.

That's why I get so much pre-1980 Mercs business; the "new guys" don't know and don't want to learn about the 'old' stuff (which is fine by me!)

Jeff

Sorry, but the sophistication of today's motors requires both schooling and modern test equipment. The days of 'figuring it out' on your own are over.

That's why I get so much pre-1980 Mercs business; the "new guys" don't know and don't want to learn about the 'old' stuff (which is fine by me!)

Jeff

I service old and new. Every main Manufacturer with the exclusion of Suzuki. I have my own scan equipment for each with the exception of Honda. Believe it or not, most problems with newer OB engines, you do not need a scan tool to diagnose.

I agree, School is needed. Just, let the marina you work for put you through it.

Don't waste your time on School. I would find a Marina that is hiring preferably a Mercury 5 Star or Mercruiser premiere Marina. If you have aptitude, they will put you through school.

Back