Logo

65373r

Darrenchabot

Hey guys, i started a new post concerning my 65373r. when i had it in the water it took on water (spraying) into the bottom of motor compartment. Is there a gasket or a seal i should be looking at?. it seems to be rear of engine underneath the bottom cylinder. This engine had a bog as well on the water, i took my carbs off to find the high speed jets on bottom two carbs were blocked by old goopy mixture. i hoping this is the bog it had. i also notice that the ignition coils (all 3) are cracked. would this cause the bog? my boating season for this engine is over now, so over winter i want to restore some parts on her, for an awesome reliable engine on the big lakes up here in north.
want to replace the stator, timer base, coils, powerpack. i must post as well that compression in this engine is 130,125,118 or so. are these within ten of each other? will it be worth replacing these parts..?

Those electronic ignition parts are quite reliable.----Not sure why you would want to replace them because they are "old " in my opinion.----Possibly the gasket under the power head is leaking.----When the powerhead is off it is easy to replace the 3 gaskets on the exhaust manifold as well.

Yeah thats what i was thinking too.... its just a matter of when...... thank you guys so much for all your input. Its people like me that would get no where if there wasnt pros to ask like your self. I was gonna change the stator only because its also show signs of melting..(hard goop dried on engine underneath fly wheel) So i was thinking that it would be a good time to replace other things under there at the same time.
To get at these gaskets/seals under the power head, is it just the 4 engine mounts to get at them.? thanks again.

I was wondering also.......
the previous owner says the motor was "rebuilt". On the carburetor setup, does the main fuel line supposed to enter into the very bottom carb? Because it seems as though the fuel line is almost at a pinch point there. So close to the bottom cowling.....

I have a non-rebuilt 73' 65HP.
The main fuel line goes to the middle carb., not the bottom.
My stator melted as well 2 years ago.

carbs.jpg

Thanks for reply. i kind of figured as much.. my 60hp is the same(fuel line middle carb) . i guess i cant just swap the carbs out though because of the choke plate and assembly. ?

Back