Logo

88 blackmax 115 gear problems

Dfwi

Hi guys I have pulled my boat out of storage after 12 mths. I replaced the impella as I do every year put LU back on and found I only have forward? Pulled the LU off again and with vies grips turned the shift shaft CCW and find neutral turn CW and only have forward till I get neutral agian? Seems there is neutral at the end of each turn but only forward in between? As it has been sitting for 12mths is it possible the shifter spring is just stuck or could it be the cam? Motor had a full rebuild only 45hrs ago and gear oil is clean. Any suggestions. Thanks Andrew

You need to turn the shifter shaft until it hits resistance (neutral), then leave it in forward and stuff the LU back. Many people use neutral, but I find the shifter jumps into forward n its own and that screws things up.

Jeff

PS: You should be able to catch reverse with the Vise Grips.

thanks Jeff, but i have a real feeling its the cam? i have had the LU on and with the shifter rod disconected and the motor running i only have neutral which is all the way CCW then i can change into forward. to get it into neutral turning CCW it get hard and clicks in and turning it CW disengages neutral and into forward. Im going to try pulling the LU apart and just check the internals and go from there. I have rung 2 shops that don't want to touch it they say its to old, but like i've said motor was fully rebuilt less than 50hrs ago and is one of the best marine engines I've ever had, guess I'm just old school simple carb set up works for me. thanks for you advise i will put the LU back on and give you suggestion ago.

Back