Logo

Identifying my engine

Phyre

Hi,

I just bought my first boat: A Bayliner Capri Bowrider, 1989, 21ft. I am trying to figure out what engine I have in it, so I can find a manual or some such online, to answer some maintenance questions. My research so far has led me to believe that the engine is an OMC, which is why I'm posting this here. Also, I'm not 100% sure this is the original engine, is there any way for me to confirm that (visually, I don't have a lot of technical know-how).

Any assistance appreciated!

Thanks,
Rich

Rich, you have a GM SBC engine and an OMC Cobra drive in your 1989 Bayliner boat.

The cylinder heads are Pre-1987, so someone has either changed these heads, or they have replaced the entire original engine with a Pre-1987.

If the cylinder block is 1989, the displacement will be cast into the block.... AFT end/Port side.
You'll see either 5.0 or 5.7 in raised numerals in the casting.

yeah - I see an automotive distributor there - looks like someone put a car engine in - not sure why they wouldn't have kept the old marine distributor ( I wonder if the ESA is working)
Check the stater motor for SAE J1171 markings to see if it's marine.

yeah - I see an automotive distributor there - looks like someone put a car engine in - not sure why they wouldn't have kept the old marine distributor
Good catch... I missed that!

Not only will this NOT meet USCG regs, the curve will be incorrect for Marine use.

Good catch... I missed that!
Not only will this NOT meet USCG regs, the curve will be incorrect for Marine use.

non-mechanical mind asking - "curve"? "ESA"?

So I got scr***d here? or is this still something I need to work out? ie - is this definitely a car engine, or could he just have put the wrong distributor on it somehow?

The starter does have those markings. Small mercies!

The only markings I can find on the engine are these:

markings.jpg

looks like a date? (1-12-88) and the letters SCO?

Good news on the starter.
All OMC used in the 80's were car engines - so it doesn't matter if it's a car engine. It might be low on power though if it has a smog-era camshaft from a time where Chevy V-8's made pathetic HP. The cam was different in a marine engine.
Easy fix though by installing a marine cam. No way to tell what's in there now though without disassembly. If you are happy with the power, don't sweat it.

Just get a marine distributor to make the ignition safe. The Delco Voyager is a popular one avail from Michigan Motorz.

Looks like OMC heads on a replacement car or truck block. Like any new-used boat - start with a compression test and see how the engine is condition-wise before worrying too much about what it is or where it came from.

Like any new-used boat - start with a compression test and see how the engine is condition-wise before worrying too much about what it is or where it came from.

Thanks so much, that helps me rest easier :)

The engine seems to run great - it's smooth, no stutter or spluttering at all, and no smoke. It doesn't go fast, but it goes well. I'll see about putting a marine distributor on, and then see if it needs the cam too.

Thanks again!

I am still trying to identify WHAT it is though, so I can work out what maintenance it needs.

Thanks so much, that helps me rest easier :)

The engine seems to run great - it's smooth, no stutter or spluttering at all, and no smoke. It doesn't go fast, but it goes well. I'll see about putting a marine distributor on, and then see if it needs the cam too.

Thanks again!

I am still trying to identify WHAT it is though, so I can work out what maintenance it needs.

Ayuh,.... Start with the hull vintage, 'n Id the outdrive, then the SBC that was supposed to be with said drive,....

That'll identify the accessories on that motor,....

I wouldn't loose any sleep over what cam is in it, if it were radical enough to be a problem, it wouldn't idle fer squat,...

Back