Logo

1989 350 Crusader with high oil level on dipstick

Magus Three Six

Hey everyone with 350 Crusader Engine knowledge! I have a Trojan 321 with twin 350 Crusaders (330 hours each) and have high oil level on the dip stick. The engine manual states the engines take 6 quarts of oil. During my latest oil change I put in 6 quarts and the dipstick shows about an inch above the full mark. This is the same on both engines. Of course I had drained out the oil pan of the old oil because the dipstick was clear before I put in the new oil.

My question is.....since both engines sit at an angle, will that make the reading that far off?

Assuming you have 7.4ltr(454) engines with 350hp. The oil pan on that engine is large. If it reads high on the stick it really does not matter. Leave the 6 quarts in it.

I have the same engines in my Trojan 10 Meter.

Thanks Chris.....actually I have the 270 model of the 350 engine, but I'm sure the reading is off due to the angle with which the engines sit in the hull.

The SBC can suspend several quarts of oil while operating at speed.
However, the issue is if/when the oil level was to contact the rotating assembly and was to become whipped up, causing it to become aerated or to develop a foam like property.

I don't know what a "SBC" is. I could see how a high level could be an issue, however I have the correct amount of oil in the pan. I just have to believe the high level mark is due to the engines sitting at an angle, thus giving a false reading.

I am going from memory, but I think that if you look on the parts diagrams for a 5.7 Captain's Choice Crusader you will find that there are actually three dip sticks listed for the engine. I presume that each is intended for a different mounting angle position. If that is true for other models, maybe you have the wrong dipstick. Or maybe you did not really drain all of the old oil out of the remote filter hose, cooler, etc. And just a possible matter of interest, on my engines I have noticed that the dipstick tube, which bolts at the top to the side of the head, is flexible enough that when reattaching after reinstalling the cylinder head, one can move the mounting position enough to change the dipstick reading by more than a quart. The engine has dual dipstick tubes so I had to fool with it several times to get the readings on the newly installed one to agree with the factory installed tube.

The dipstick system on 350s varies by model so not all of this may apply to your situation.

CaboJohn

The manual states to add oil until a "FULL level" is indicated by the dipstick...furthermore, the same manual states the oil capacity is approximately six quarts (US). Finally, there is only one dipstick and tube based on the part numbers available.

The dipstick is marked to account for the installed angle for most installations...and this may vary with a specific hull (hence the approxiamately in the capacity chart).

The real question is how many quarts did you remove from the pan prior to installing the new oil?

It is quite common for some residual oil to remain in the system when changing the oil, especially when you look at the cooler, remote filter mount, and the interconnecting plumbing...as long as the current level doesn't cause aerated oil, I'd adjust it when you winterize...

Back