Logo

break in procedure

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
hi all I have a Honda bf90d vtec bought new this summer.now I have finished the 10hr break in period. I would like to ask what shall I do as the first service engine oil, oil filter and gear oil and if there is any other think to do. I feel that it is consuming some extra fuel. is there any think that have to be done too. Thanks Jason

I don't know about the 90, but I've been told that the 225 takes at least 200 hours to fully break in. That is, fully seating the rings and valves. Until they are fully seated, then it would be logical for it to burn a little bit more fuel. When I first got my 225 I made the mistake of babying it too much. When I took it in far warranty maintenance after about 120 hours, the dealer hooked up the HDS which showed that the engine had less than 1 hour at WOT. He told me that at that rate I would never break in the engine, so cut loose to WOT whenever I could for the next 100 hours. The engine has run great ever since. It currently has over 1600 hours.

Yes, definitely change the oil, gear oil, and oil filter. The bottom gear case drain plug will typically have a magnetic bolt. It is not unusual that you will initially see a good bit of metal flakes on the end of that bolt. You will continue to see those metal flakes each time you change the gear oil, but there should be less of them, and more fine particles, every time. Make note or take a picture of what you see there, and clean it off before re-installing so that you will have a good comparative at the next change.

It might also be a good idea to change out the low pressure fuel filter, too. That has likely caught some debris that remained in the fuel line from installation.

I have always done as the manual says about WOT but now that it have passed the 10 hrs I will give it some WOT but not too much as the fuel will leave effect on my wallet . thanks for your info

I agree with chawk....

Do not baby it. Your manual says that during hours 3 to 10 of your break in, do not run it at full throttle for more than 5 minutes at time. Unfortunately, it does not say "don't baby it". But it should.

Run it good, but do not be afraid of full throttle. Hopefully, it was propped so that you will get between 6000 and 6200 rpm at wot.

As for what you should do for the 20 hour service. Check the service schedule in your manual. It is pretty specific. The manual also gives good detail as to how to do it.

These are things that your Dealer should have gone over in great detail with you. Sorry you did not get a good delivery.

Mike

Again, I do not know about the 90, but the owner's manual for the 225 says to change the oil every 100 hours and change the oil filter every 200 hours. That always sounded a bit strange to me. I change the filter every time I change to oil at 100 hours.

Another thing I do because of all the horror stories I've heard (and experienced) about SS spark plugs getting welded into aluminum heads. At every 100 hour maintenance I remove the plugs, inspect the color on the electrodes to make sure all are firing correctly, coat the threads with a thin film of marine grease, then re-install.

Hopefully the dealer installed a Racor-type fuel-water separator in the fuel line between the tank and the engine. If not, install one yourself. Remember to drain it at every 100 hour maintenance and change out the filter annually.

Overall, the best way to keep that engine healthy is to run it as often as possible.

usually I replace oil filter engine oil gear oil every season check the plugs replace fuel filter ever 2 season I cant wait 100hrs as I make about 30hr max every year I ran it every 15days in a tank every 15days when out of season

Yep - that's correct - I should have said every 100 hours or every six months whichever came first. But for low usage operators, every season works.

I was reading some posts regard impellor replacement. my BF90D was bough new in 2014 but it was manufactured in 2010 so it is nearly 4 years old although it was still boxed. after how many hrs you think I have to replace it?

I'm not sure if your maintenance schedule covers that (it should) but it is really a common sense issue. If you are running in a lot of murky water or running up on shoals or bottoming out several times a year (like I do) then change it annually. Otherwise, note the volume of water coming out of the telltale water stream and occasionally feel the water temperature. It should be a little above luke warm. If the temperature goes up, or the water volume goes down (and you are sure there are no clogs in the telltale water tube), then it is likely time for a change.

Back