Logo

7/8-20 helicoil repair kit Rochester carb

kghost

Silver Medal Contributor
I am wondering if anyone might have a 7/8-20 helicoil repair kit.

I need the tap and one thread insert to repair a Rochester Quadrajet fuel inlet.

I would like to borrow the tap and I will pay for the insert.

Please let me know.

Thanks

YES

I actually got the new fuel inlet fitting in ok but it rocks almost all the way until the last couple of threads then it tightens. I was able to tighten it but I would prefer to make it right.

Thanks But it is the body that has the part number stamped on it.........if not for that I have a perfectly good one I could use........

This all about the parts matching that restorations require..........

This carb also needs a couple of other small parts that are available (some used) from online carb parts retailers.

Here is the carb completed and the fuel inlet is tight but only by a couple of threads........Not the way it should be.

Any chance your local rent a tool place has one? Some auto repair parts stores loan tools if you buy stuff from them. My local big orange box store rents tools though I do not know for a fact that they rent these... (they do sell them). A buddy of mine ( a real "value minded person" :) ) calls Sears his favorite place to borrow tools from. I call Harbor Freight my favorite "tool rental place" ( some tools usually don't last more than a time or two use), hence "rented".

No local or even close to local (to me) auto parts or tool rental places have this odd helicoil tap......never mind a regular 7/8"-20 standard tap.

There are a lot of resources for this but it is all about the bejamins........

Ok so I had to purchase a helicoil tap and a couple of inserts.

Got it first try!!

Pic of tap and the insert installed.
Feels and work like New!!

NEATO! I love helicoils. Used them more times than I'd like to admit, considering I only work on my own boats and that of one or two friends.

I should also clarify something about this carb

This carb is a numbers matching (part number) for my friends car.

1970 SS 454 LS 5 4 speed Chevelle.

This is why I could not use just any carb body as I and he have several......

CHEV 70 CHEVELLE, CORVETTE BB (454) LS 5

Carb # 7040204 Automatic transmission
7040205 Standard Transmission
Main Jet 78
Main rod 49
Secondary rod AX
Hanger G

Here are some pics of the finished install and of the car.......it is a 396 SS not a 454......my mistake...

Installed the carb tonight and we (the owner and me) took it for a test ride.......ran sweet!

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the finished install and of the car.......it is a 396 SS not a 454......my mistake...

Installed the carb tonight and we (the owner and me) took it for a test ride.......ran sweet!
sweet SS! I had one in high school, but mine was hard top, dad took it way when I got caught drag racing by the GSP ( Georgia State Patrol)....
thanks for posting pics, brought back some memories:)

Back