Logo

Running Edelbrock carbs--a Report

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
After five years running a total of three Edelbrock 1409 carbs in my 32 Marinette, I have come to the following conclusions:

They do NOT flood (unless one ignores proper fuel filtration methods).

They do NOT backfire when the throttle is juiced (unless the idle mixture is too lean—see below).

Perhaps it is just my boat, but after sitting a week or so both carbs are empty of fuel; I had to install an electric boost pump system to avoid cranking the starters and ring gears to death.

After years of running all three of these carbs slowly developed a lean idle mixture condition that enrichening the idle mixture screws could not alleviate. From the customary 1 ½ turns out to 4 plus (and it makes no difference after that many turns out) each of the 3 carbs (one used, two new) exhibited this trend. The result is stalling, rough running at idle in gear, and frustration.

Port engine: On my used carb, I drilled the .060 inch holes the idle mixture needle goes into out to about .092. That cured the problem, but that carb had other issues so it became spare parts. Its replacement—the newest of the three--is struggling to maintain a proper idle at 3 ½ to 4 turns out, so it will need help soon.

Starboard engine: This, the oldest of my carbs, is running so lean it stalls every time I shift it into gear. (Runs perfect above 1,200 rpms, however.) I pulled her down for a thorough cleaning and was stunned to see black sediment—a lot of it—in the floor of the carb. I suppose it was also plugging the tiny idle feed passages as well; we’ll see.

Jeff

My port motor seems to exhibit a similar condition after a long run and then idling. Doesn't die but acts like it wants to...

Jeff, I'm not a big fan of the Edelbrock carburetors, but I'm sure that you know what you're doing.
Have you considered going to the RACOR fuel filtration system?
I can't say enough good about the RACOR systems. Thumbs UP for me!

I had to install an electric boost pump system to avoid cranking the starters and ring gears to death.

I seem to recall that we talked about this before.... I'm sure that you know what you're doing, and that the boost pump is powered via a momentary helm switch ONLY!
But I'm wondering how you tied in an electric fuel pump as a "boost" pump?
Does the electric pump lead into the suction side of the mechanical pump ..... or did you use a check valving system of some sort at the pressure side of the mechanical pump?

Does it meet USCG regs?

..."Does it meet USCG regs? "

Hell yes (more or less). The boost circuit adds fuel to both carbs through a check valve at each carb. Works slick--as in this morning.

Report on the rebuilt Edelbrock: It's working great again. Though I rebuilt it, I also hedged my bet by drilling the .060 orifices the needle goes into out to .090 ". The idle mixture screws are now about 1 1/2 turns out, which is normal (and I don't think those .060 would have worked). Gonna do the one on the other side next.

Jeff

had mine on for over 5 years now..both original. The boat is tough to start after a week of sitting, (a lot of cranking & pumping.. might switch the pumps for electric), but both engines idle sweetly at 500 rpm in gear, no coughing when given the berries, and still turn in great gas milage...very happy with them. Might have something to do with the quality of the gas here in the great white north...NO ETHANOL.
pete

Shouda kept my Holley. It could sit all winter and it fire right up.

Jack

Its tw not the carb. It's the ethanol blended fuel. It evaporates from the fuel bowl, and it's nice enough to leave a crusty film that clogs orfices when it does. So glad I get to pay 4$ a gallon for crap.

I have had my new 1410s for about 5 years now with no problems. Fuel economy is the same as the old carbs but I don't get fumes in the boat after cruising so mom is happy. It still takes some cranking to get them started after sitting but it's been that way since 1974.

Dan

..."It still takes some cranking to get them started after sitting but it's been that way since 1974."

I know the feeling! My aluminum hulled boat seems to make that situation worse for some reason.

Jeff

I have no complaints about the 1409s but they have only been on my Chrysler 360s for about three years. I have to agree that those engines need a lot of cranking before they will start. Pain in the butt and tough on the starters but once they start, they settle into a nice 600 rpm idle without complaint.

Bill

I know this an old thread but I'm seriously considering my carb options... the Quads I have now are simply all over the place. Getting alot of fuel in the exhaust, The idle is high when they come off a longish run, if i adjust it down its too low at cold idle. I've rebuilt with a very reputable/high quality kit. My fear is they are simply worn out. I do have a second set of carbs that were given to me. Is it worth having them rebuilt and re-bushed? Or will holleys or edelbrock out perform the quads ? ( i'd settle for equal performance with more stable service) BTW both engines fire up with a minimum or cranking and or pumping.

Hey Jeff you"re a good source of info could you please take a look at my recent post "looking for a replacement intake manifold lm318" and see what you think.

Cheers
Russ

Back