Logo

Crusader 5.7 efi no warm up

Clint324

My engine does not go into a warm up procedure like the other engine does where it revs up to about a grand and slowly goes down to 6. It's an efi engine not sure of the year or model. So when I start the motor I gotta advance the throttle me self or it can shut down. Any ideas? Or where can I get those numbers if you need them? Thanks.

Welcome to ME.com!!

Sounds like you have twins so you have already got the idea of using the healthy one as a reference.

the "cold start" feature is controlled by the ECU, driven mostly by the temperature sensor(s) installed. Best guess is that the ECT sensor is no longer accurate but still in overall tolerance (its providing a reasonable signal to the ECU, it just isn't accurate).

The fastest way to tell for sure is to get a scan tool and hook it up...

A good first step for an owner of an MEFI (Marine Electronic Fuel Injection) engine is to do an internet search under the terms "Pirate 4x4 MEFI4". This will lead you to an excellent article that explains just how MEFI controls work on an engine. It will also give you pictures to identify just which controller (ECU) you have on your engines. Once you have an understanding of how the controller functions, trouble shooting becomes much easier. The article also has a link to a diagnostic manual for the MEFI4, which is one of the most common of those engine controllers. Earlier models lacked some os the features, and later models have some additional capabilities, but they all use pretty much the same type of sensors and the same operating principles. So the manual is useful to all. If you print it, go double sided, it is long!

Once you have read those, you will know just what to expect from a scan and how to interpret the data. But because you will understand the operating principles, you may be able to find the problem without a scan if you don't have ready access to a scanner. The actual start up problem you are experiencing is most likely caused by a lack of response in the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve. This is a stepper motor controlled air valve next to the throttle plate that does what you now have to do manually on that engine. So one place to start would be to swap those valves between the engines. Or the problem could be the computer that controls the valve is getting bad input and therefore not telling the valve to move properly. This most likely would be the temp sensor (as suggested by Mark) or the Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor. All of these are very quick and easy swaps. I believe that if you swap these three (one at a time, please) you will likely find the bad actor. If not, the documents will point you to other possibilities.

Good Luck,
CaboJohn

Don't know, but if you figure out which MEFI controller you have, the correct diagnostics manual covers the controller, the sensors, the fuel system and the ignition system. That's pretty much everything that makes your 5.7 different than any run of the mill chevy.

CaboJohn

Ok it's just that I'm having other issues to with the oil capacity that I need to find out, pumped out 9qt and it took 10 and maybe another

Several approaches to getting the engine's ID'd....check your title paperwork; it should have your engines' serial numbers.

You can also check with your boat builder as they record that information for a multitude of reasons.

If they have been replaced, they you have to look for the ID stickers...go to crusader's www site and down load the manuals for the early 5.7s...you might find the model there...it will have drawing of where to find the data....you can also get one or two of the newer manuals and then compare the capacity charts...they haven't changed much. If your manual isn't there, crusader will supply it but they will need the serail number to get you the correct book.

2X on Cabo's suggestions on the manual and an approach.

as far as the scanner goes, RINDA makes the best...either stand alone or the connectors and software to turn a laptop into one. If you have a slip mate or two, they may be willing to enter into a cost sharing arrangement. Another option is to hire a mechanic that owns one.

9 or 10 quarts in a small block sounds like way too much to me.

Back