Logo

Johnson 9R73B hard to pull after trying to start

Buzzardweeb

My daughter got a 73 Johnson 9.5 and we put new points, spark plugs, and stop switch in it. It started and sounded good. We took it to the lake and would not start. The more I pulled on the start cord, the harder it got to pull, we also noticed carburetor leaking. I am confused, turned the flywheel and felt like pressure releasing. Then the more tried to start the harder cord was to pull. Any ideas anyone

Sounds like you were possibly loading the cylinders up with fuel with each pull of the starter rope, setting up a hydraulic action problem.

My guess would be that the float was stuck, causing the leaking carb, and excess gas getting into the cylinders. Do a carb rebuild, and pay special attention to the float setting.

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thank You, Do you have a carburetor kit for this motor. It appears they skip over 1973 9.5 motor carburetor kit in parts guide

Last edited:
Thank You, Do you have a carburetor kit for this motor. It appears they skip over 1973 9.5 motor carburetor kit in parts guide

Apparently you overlooked it. I had no problem locating the kit number, available on this site. Note that the "B" on the end of the model number is simply a factory run number of no consequence.

CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT, PART NUMBER 382048 (For Model 9R73).

Apparently you overlooked it. I had no problem locating the kit number, available on this site. Note that the "B" on the end of the model number is simply a factory run number of no consequence.

CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT, PART NUMBER 382048 (For Model 9R73).
Thank you Ill look for that part number

Back