Logo

Carby problem BF50 carby

peterroe

The bottom carby on my 50 hp will not tune properly. Took it to local dealer for cleaning and ran worse on return pilot / idle mixture screws wound out 4 turns on top 2 carbs and bottom screw closed fully off and carbs weren't balanced when I checked myself., Cleaned carbs (many times) and balanced. Top 2 carbs now run well at about 2 turns open on idle mixture screws but bottom carb idle mixture still wound closed. What am I missing? could the float be too high and its flooding on that cylinder? This motor was secondhand with only 150 hours on when I got it but that doesn't mean it wasn't played with by "experts" prior.

Having struggled with my honda 50 carbs for all too many hours in the past 2 years, if it were me I would follow this order:

1. Check the long skinny jet set --- in fact just replace it, it could have hairline cracks in it.
2. Replace the idle mixture screw entirely
3. Buy a new #3 carb. For me, this made sense, because the $200 cost was minimal vs. going back to the dealer for an untold # of hours. It bolts back on in a few minutes.

Back