Logo

Octopus drive auto pilot and non feedback steering

NH TOONER

Contributing Member
I would like to install an Octopus R type autopilot drive. You cannot use it with non feedback steering. I have a 1986 searay 270 with original rack and pinion mechanical steering and my power is a 2007 mercruiser 8.1 with Bravo 3. My question is how can I tell if this is non feedback steering. cant find any info on it
Thanks
Dave

depends upon who made it and what's inside...if it is original (1980's vintage) its almost certain to predate the NFB systems....teleflex has a great guide to identifying various steering units...

If you still have doubt, you can send an email and ask...but you'll have to be able to tell them what you have.

Mark, you are correct.
I just looked up a non-feedback R&P system and I found one by SeaStar Solutions. Apparently this new system is a non-feedback R&P.
However, this system works for a single station only, according to the literature.

I'm not familiar with the 1986 searay 270, but if Dave's 270 is dual station, his R&P has to be feed-back capable.

Octopus website says ... "complete kits for MERCS..." They also sell a "rudder position indicator" which is what you most likely will have to buy, since almost all autopilots need one, except the new Simrad. Call Octopus tech support for specific application details. They know their product best. Generally "non feedback" systems are hydraulic systems, i.e. you don't feel any reverse torque (feedback) in the helm.

Back