Logo

Mercruiser 3.0L dies seconds after starting

BRUSA10

The engine starts for a few seconds then dies unless you throttle it by hand at the engine. We took the carb out and gave it a good clean but the problem still persists. What are other options? We are gonna remove the fuel tomorrow and trying replacing it but I have a feeling that wont do it. The boat hasn't been used in a awhile. Please help. Thanks.

if it will stay running by manually giving gas would make me think carb only way to really clean those carbs is completely disassemble bowls jets all of it buy a carb rebuild kit .laugh if u want to but clean it in toilet bowl cleaner ONLY THE METAL PARTS you want belive how clean it will get and it don't take long to soak I use cleaner called THE WORKS

These days, ethanol laced gas can leave deposits that are rock hard in the jets and do not yield to "normal" carb cleaning solutions, but require mechanical removal... (ask me how I know :-( ). I'd also take a quick look inside the distributor cap since long term nonuse in humid environments (especially in areas where it gets cold in the winter) can wreak havoc with the innards.

The engine starts for a few seconds then dies unless you throttle it by hand at the engine. We took the carb out and gave it a good clean but the problem still persists. What are other options? We are gonna remove the fuel tomorrow and trying replacing it but I have a feeling that wont do it. The boat hasn't been used in a awhile. Please help. Thanks.

Does this happen only when the engine is cold? If so, look at the choke setting and adjust a bit.

thanks for the replies

i have ordered the carb repair kit with a float and I am going to check if they have the jets in stock because taking those jets out was ridiculously hard and one of the jets were chipped pretty badly

ill post the results when we put it together

cleaned and replaced carb part and boats running
Thats great! Did you try to toilet bowl cleaner? I'm just curious. I use a Berryman 5 gallon bucket, however, its getting old and I'm always interested in trying new things. Am also told that vinegar works well......who'd a thought! LOL

Back