Logo

2001 Honda 9.9 issues

s4rhoolie

Hello,
purchased a nice 9.9 from a next door neighbor, he did a test in a barrel, started right up, runned smooth, shifted forward and reverse with no problems, ren just fine without issues (not visible to me). I shipped this motor overseas to my father in law and shortly after that we flew there for a summer vacation....installed it on a small aluminum jon boat (5 months from purchase to installation) and here comes trouble....it started but it was running poor, no throttle response, it dies when rpm get higher....so i figured bad gas and took carb apart to clean it. After that it started running much better, it revved better but still not quite as good as when this guy show it to me before i purchased it....we took it on the river and after it started we took it for a spin and (of course) 45 seconds later it died on us in the middle of the river....it starts and runs for 8-10 seconds and again dies...We took it to a guy who does service on outboards (not Honda certified) and he did cleaning again, replaced few gascets on the carb and outboard started running really nice on idle but having issues after quarter throtle open....Plus when we tested it on the river it started pushing water from between the side plastic cowling and upper cover into the boat (only when in forward gear...in neutral works fine). Water pump works great, water coming out from pee hole nicely, have no idea what could cause all this....How many jets are there to be cleaned and is this part function? (on the carb photo) Is this something that needs adjusting or...9.9carb2.jpgThanks a lot for your help!

That is pilot screw it should be 2 1/4 turns out, did you fully opened the carb ?their is 2 nozzles, # main nozzle and jet nozzle, # main jet, check for acceleration piston working fine,
#should clean all the passages holes,
#carb float level
#check fuel pump
check all the fuel line from tank to carb for any leak,bend or block.and with fresh fuel and good carb it should work fine, if it was worked fine before you perches.

wajira

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on purchasing one of THE BEST, MOST RELIABLE outboards EVER MADE! I know it doesn't feel that way now but with a little help with your carb, you will feel better soon.

These carbs are NOT EASY to get clean once they are "fouled" with mineral deposits. Most outboard mechanics that haven't worked on them don't get it right the first...or sometimes...sixth time.

The 5 months that it "sat" is the key here. If there was ANY fuel left in the carb during that period, then it will need to be dis assembled and cleaned up RIGHT to get it back to the way you first saw it run. If you want me to walk you through it, I will. BUT you need to pay attention and ANSWER MY QUESTIONS as we go or you won't have much success.

Let me know.

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on purchasing one of THE BEST, MOST RELIABLE outboards EVER MADE! I know it doesn't feel that way now but with a little help with your carb, you will feel better soon.

These carbs are NOT EASY to get clean once they are "fouled" with mineral deposits. Most outboard mechanics that haven't worked on them don't get it right the first...or sometimes...sixth time.

The 5 months that it "sat" is the key here. If there was ANY fuel left in the carb during that period, then it will need to be dis assembled and cleaned up RIGHT to get it back to the way you first saw it run. If you want me to walk you through it, I will. BUT you need to pay attention and ANSWER MY QUESTIONS as we go or you won't have much success.

Let me know.

I do need help with this issue, in as much details as possible...Only problem is (right now) i'm in states and Honda is in Europe...do have a mechanic reliable and ready to listen...don't know if me being here would make harder to answer questions but i can do my best...appreciate upfront for your effort.

Ok, we will all have to do our best. My FIRST (and possibly best) suggestion, since you are currently in the States is that you order the Honda Marine Carburetor manual from Amazon and get it to your mechanic. That is the simplest and easiest way for him to understand what he needs to do. It is VERY comprehensive and would almost completely eliminate the need for us to do a great deal of very tedious and confusing back and forth on email. And, as my wife is currently in the hospital, you will need to be patient from time to time for me to reply.

http://www.amazon.com/Honda-Marine-...70954&sr=8-4&keywords=honda+carburetor+manual

My next suggestion is to pre-order the gaskets and internals you may need in order to only go in the carb once and have it purr like the kitty kat it is. These are bare minimum items and not very expensive although I realize shipping to EU is another matter altogether. If you can't do either, I understand and we can proceed the hard way and still probably get it up and running.

NOW, for MY first question:

In the photo you provided, it looks as if the choke cable has been removed from it's holder. I need to know HOW it was removed. As in; was it "muscled" out of there with force? The proper way to disassemble the choke is to remove the carburetor from the engine and UNSCREW the assembly from the carb body AS A UNIT.

As a matter of fact, your description of the way the engine faulters COULD be attributed to a faulty choke. So, if it was damaged in ANY way, that needs to be addressed in the beginning. I am referring to the black plastic and rubber "elbow" looking thing that is right next to the question mark in your "or better this one" picture.

That item holds the choke cable. It has VERY DELICATE plastic threads that need particular care not to damage while unscrewing and installing to the the main body. It can be "cross-threaded" very easily and can be stripped by that or by too much pulling force. One of the little "headaches" built into these little monsters.

While the outboard itself is almost bullet proof, the weak maintenance point is the carb. But with care and experience you can easily deal with that and you WILL have the best little 9.9 ever built.

Also, please provide the outboard's frame number and any numbers that you can find ON the carburetor itself.

The frame number should be located on the side of the transom mount bracket.

Thanks.

Back