Logo

Temperature Sender

schnidly

HI All, I own a 1988 90hp 3 cylinder Mercury outboard motor. Serial number 0B302485. I am having an issue with my temperature alarm going off. Its ok for a few minutes while the motor is running then it will go into a steady beep. Even after I shut off the engine the steady beep remains when I just put the key in the run position. Then it will clear up while the boat sits for a while. I just had the water pump replaced and there is a great stream of water coming out of the engine and the water feels cool on discharge. Had an overvoltage problem a month ago and had to replace the warning module and my trim, fuel and tachometer gages and all the bulbs in my other gages, volt, water pump pressure, speedometer. Could my temperature sending unit have taken a hit also? Had to replace my trim sender because it was not working right and now my fuel tank sender is also not working. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Also, if I remove the temperature sender from my engine can someone explain to me how this comes out after the retaining cap is removed by the two screws removed holding it in place on the engine?

Can someone tell me the correct temperature that my temp sender will send an alarm signal? I tested it in a cup of hot water and it varied between 170 and 190 degrees. The part number for my temp sender is 78799 and the serial number for my outboard is 0B302485. It is a mercury 90hp 3 cylinder outboard.

Back