Logo

1998 692's in boat - rebuild questions

tom4trax

I am considering buying a boat (1998 Hatteras SF) that the broker tells me is in need of both engines rebuilt. Says it down on power and smokes like crazy (black smoke) at 1500 rpm.

The motors only have 700 hr on them and been on the great lakes all the time. And are rated over 600hp
He claims that because these engines are so high in HP they have a short life.

Could this be true?
Might there be something less wrong than a major overhaul needed
If needed, could they be rebuilt with less HP and extend the life span

thanks
Tom

I agree that you need to find a Detroit mechanic. My 692's are 550hp and were rebuilt at 3,000 hours. Sound like a turbo problem and 700 hours is way too low for rebuild unless they were overheated or not maintained.

I agree with the others. Black smoke is typically indicative of over fueling and or not enough air which COULD mean turbo problems. However, if the boat did a lot of sitting, the fuel could be contaminated and can cause this too. If the engines are electronically governed, it could be electrical problems (poor grounds) with the ECMS. Just too many variables to consider without a good tech on the scene. An overhaul is not likely needed

If you are serious about buying this vessel, make a deal to have the engine room checked out by a qualified mechanic. Start by having him run the engines out of a portable fuel container.

Just be advised that if you get the engines running smoothly again, the price of the boat is likely to go up. :~)

Back