Logo

1976 evinrude 6hp

saltlifegarrett

Hello, I need a little help with my motor, I have had this motor for awhile now, and its a great motor, real work horse starts ups first pull, everytime. But for some reason when im on my john boat and im going my engine pops out of gear at high Rpm's...now when I test on land in a barrel its fine. But I get back on water it will run for awhile and just kik out of gear, back into neautral? I tool to a mechanic and he replaced the lower unit and coils and etc...and I test it out and its still doing it? Any suggestions? Has anyone had this problem before? Any guidance and tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! This engine is great so hopefully its something small.
Thank you, garrett

I shift it normaly, i guess you could say?when you shift it you hear it click it into place, bit once I start going full spees it pops outta gear and just acts like its in neautral and revs really hard

Garrett,

The lower unit looks exactly like mine, a 1966 model. I am still working mine over fixing the sins of the previous owners as I go. Plan on starting it today if weather permits.
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/j...=6605A&manufacturer=Evinrude&section=Gearcase

1. The Detent Spring may be installed wrong or defective, Part 33 on the parts diagram. Mine was broken. if it goes right back into gear then this is likely the source of the problem. If it breaks as mine did a broken part may block full engagement of the gears. It is possible for this spring to be out of alignment slightly but not broken. A visual inspection is the only way to tell but easy to remedy. Simply loosen the retaining screw, adjust the spring to be square on the shaft and re-tighten the screw.
2. The Shift Rod Connector may be installed improperly or with the wrong bolts. Part #58 on the parts diagram. The previous owner put a small machine screw into mine and the connector eventually slides up the rod or down and off the rod. This was the case with mine. If it comes out of gear and does not go back in easily or at all this is likely the problem.
3. If the upper shift rod is not installed correctly in the shift lever under the power head then you could have similar problems. If it goes into forward and reverse okay then this is not the problem. If it goes only into forward then you may want to look as a last resort.

Why did he replace the coils? Did you have other problems? These are all manual shift via shafts and linkages with shifting having nothing to do with the coils.

When you say... "It pops out of gear"................

Does the engine's shift lever actually move back to the neutral position... OR... does it stay in the forward position while the engine races away and the boat slows down?

Then the prop hub is slipping. OR it is cavitating (air around the prop). Mark & test the prop as described above.

The propeller is a three piece unit..... a bronze hub... a portion of vaulcanized rubber... and the actual propeller.

The bronze hub is attached to the propeller via the vaulcanized rubber similar to how a motor mount is manufactured.

In your case, the vaulcanized rubber has failed which allows the bronze hub to slip within the propeller.

You can either have the propeller rehubbed or replace the propeller.

The propeller is a three piece unit..... a bronze hub... a portion of vaulcanized rubber... and the actual propeller.

The bronze hub is attached to the propeller via the vaulcanized rubber similar to how a motor mount is manufactured.

In your case, the vaulcanized rubber has failed which allows the bronze hub to slip within the propeller.

You can either have the propeller rehubbed or replace the propeller.

Thank you and everyone else, im still learning thw whole engine world. And you all are very knowledgeable! In the next couple days I will test all the tips and theories. If I have any more trouble or run into another problem I will surely ask.
Thank you, garrett

Back