Logo

1983 35hp johnson outboard

ironworker

I have a 1983 35hp Johnson that I just got. I have put a new carburetor kit and water pump kit in it and It will fire up with the choke shut. it does not want to stay running at idle, will run when revved up, but not at idle. the low speed needle valve looks good, do not know what else to do. I am a novice at outboard motors and since started working on this motor have learned alot. but have gotten to a point where I am not sure what to do. Anybody got time to help me out. I also inherited a 25 hp Johnson that the motor is froze up, can I use the parts off of it to use on my 35hp? Now the second problem is it has a real bad miss? when running at speed, almost like I am hitting a log or something, does not lose speed but it does occur reguraily. Have no clue what that is. any help on these things would be greatly appriecated.

The hitting a log could be a problem in the lower gearcase.-----Possibly the lobes on the clutch dog and forward gear are worn.--------Start the trouble shiooting with a compression test on the 35 HP motor.

Ah yes, the old hitting a log story. Every outboard mechanic has heard it a hundred times or more. It is coming out of gear, rotating 180 degrees and slamming back into gear----till next time, repeat.

Clutch dog and forward gear are worn out. Shift linkage too, if you ignore it long enough.

Since no one actually hit a log here. Carb idle jet/passage(s) is probably clogged. Possibly others as well. Can take a plastic syringe (hardware or animal feed stores has them) filled with water, disassemble carb and verify all passages go somewhere via forcing water in each passage & see water exiting the carb in a smooth steady manner from another area. If the miss is timed meaning exactly every so many seconds-half seconds apart , its probably electrical. How ever is somewhat erratic, is most likely a fuel problem. Again verify all carb passages are clear. Best of luck.

Back