Logo

More dismantling problems 1974 6 hp

F Murtz

Thanks for the help so far,but now new problem

I have removed the lower rubber mounted clamp hinge thingo (having trouble with bolts seizing and snapping) and have removed upper rubber mounts but the assembly wont pull off motor base, is it just rubber sticking above the hinging shaft or something I have not undone?
The throttle mechanism is off.
PS I do have a manual on disk in pdf but am having trouble sorting out the the exploded view.

I must be going nuts. I already answered this once today, and it is gone. Is it a duplicate post? You are trying to remove the powerhead to get to the shifter shaft, right? Anyhow, you are going way down the wrong path and making it far too complicated. All you have to do is remove the 7 powerhead-to-exhaust housing screws, disconnect the fuel line, and lift the powerhead off. No need to be messing with those rubber mounts.

sorry it appears I was wrong, I can get at the eleven bolts needed to separate the power head although I still want to remove the clamp pivot shaft as Once I have started I may as well refurbish or replace seized up things etc while I am at it.
am a bit muddled with the way I have posted things, even sent a pic of the shaft with tinypic in a different reply

I am having trouble driving this forum,I sent a post with a tiny pic but it seem not to have worked, I will try again.

I am trying to remove this shaft which seem to be attached by rubber or something flexible should I just yank it or is there something needing undoing?

http://tinypic.com/r/e3k0p/8

It is still attached by the upper front rubber mount number 8 in this picture.

Attachments

• 8. Exhaust Housing and Brackets.jpg
    8. Exhaust Housing and Brackets.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 48
Are you talking about that spot right in the middle of your picture? Isn't it rubber? That is the upper water tube grommet. No need to mess with it.

not trying to hijack,but my question is related to the upper water tube grommet. I noticed some white grease coming from that spot twice now.is that a problem?1975 short shaft 6hp

No. There is no white grease in there. But there is warm water and exhaust and unburned oil and fuel. Emulsify it all together and you sometimes get a whitish foam. Totally normal, it was headed for going out the underwater exhaust anyway. That's just the way it is.

I wish I had a teleporter to get some of you here,another pic, this is how far I am, I have removed all the bolts I can find other than a screw just below the upper gear shift linkage which is tight and I am wary as I am busting corroded bolts left right and centre There is also a pin or key which may be spring loaded in the main shaft just under the upper shaft seal what does it do?
Which way do the drive shaft gear change rod water tube etc go?do they come out with the gearbox?
What to do next to get this thing apart?
My eventual aim is to change this long shaft into a short shaft.
That thing is rubber, does it come out as part of my exercise?

http://tinypic.com/r/6gk67k/8

Words cannot express......

Well nevermind, to answer you questions, you have to disconnect the shift rod before you can get the gearcase off the extension housing. The brass disconnect is in the space between the tow units. Then the phillips pivot screw has to come out before you can finish removing the skeg.

Water tube goes up to and into that rubber grommet you asked about earlier. Shift rod is in two pieces, joined by brass disconnect I just mentioned. Spring and stuff at top end of driveshaft is lower crankshaft bearing seal. Driveshaft has to be rotated so pin aligns with a slot before it will come down.

Maybe words can not express I probably look like a big dill but It is easy for someone who has worked on these things before, I usually do not have problems like this,for instance I recently removed and replaced the evaporator on a small bmw car which is one of those jobs where you start at the exhaust and remove everything til you get to the evaporator under the dash (almost all of the interior forward of the seats) and the air con worked after, I am not a mechanic or an air con tech,But this tiny thing is driving me mad.
For instance I do not know where the space between the tow units is,I do not know where the Philips pivot screw is unless it is the one that wont undo under the top gear linkage if it is it is probably going to be another "break it off then repair" as lots of bolts have been so far.

I realise that the spring and stuff is a seal but I was talking about the pin or whatever it is that is visible when most of the seal is removed.

Thanks again, I have found it, I decided that the tow must be two and went looking, it is no apart but I still do not know what the the phillips pivot screw is unless it is something that I have already removed but I wont worry about that as the leg is already apart

Back