Logo

electronis ignition/ more

jluke

I have a 1977 Bluewater with twin Crusader 350, 270 hp engines. I have looked for an electronic ignition conversion for these engines but the ones I have found are for distrbutors that are non-vacuum advanced. How do I resolve this? Next, I've found that when I leave the boat for a week or two, the gas apparently is pulled back into the tank and it takes forever to start. Any suggestions? my last question is the starboard engine. When I start it and push the throttle forward, it is very slow to increase rpms. It runs fine, but accelerates slowly. The port engine reacts very quickly. Where do I start looking. Thank you in advance,,

John

1) there shouldn't be anything to resolve regarding the electronic conversion kits as you have described them.

2) the gasoline evaporates from your carbs after a few days of non-use. there are a few solutions that can be found by search the crusader forum using the search tool.

3) on the starboard engine, are you asking about at initial startup or after the engine is warmed up? and expand on "push the throttle", if you would

I have a 1977 Bluewater with twin Crusader 350, 270 hp engines. I have looked for an electronic ignition conversion for these engines but the ones I have found are for distrbutors that are non-vacuum advanced. How do I resolve this? Next, I've found that when I leave the boat for a week or two, the gas apparently is pulled back into the tank and it takes forever to start. Any suggestions? my last question is the starboard engine. When I start it and push the throttle forward, it is very slow to increase rpms. It runs fine, but accelerates slowly. The port engine reacts very quickly. Where do I start looking. Thank you in advance,,

John

Ayuh,.... There Shouldn't be any vacuum advance on Any boat distributor,...

The Delco EST is a fair deal, for a Great distributor,....

Ya got Carb problems, the 1 that's empty in a week, is leakin', internally, into the intake,...

The slow to rev motor probably needs a Tune up, or possible a carb rebuild,...

1) there shouldn't be anything to resolve regarding the electronic conversion kits as you have described them.

2) the gasoline evaporates from your carbs after a few days of non-use. there are a few solutions that can be found by search the crusader forum using the search tool.

3) on the starboard engine, are you asking about at initial startup or after the engine is warmed up? and expand on "push the throttle", if you would

By resolve, I mean do I have to get new distributors, do they make an electronic ignition conversion for what I have or not?
By pushing down the throttle, I do mean pushing the throttle lever that increases speed. I haven't taken the boat out in a while, but at the dock, it doesn't seem to matter whether the engine is cold or warmed up, acceleration in rpm's is very slow compaired to the other engine. .

John, your OEM distributors are now 37 years old. That's 37 years of shaft and bushing wear, 37 years of advance mechanism wear, etc.
The conversion kits do ZERO to correct any of this wear.
Wear may cause shaft wobble. Shaft wobble may cause erractic dwell angle (yes, there is a dwell angle with magnetic triggering).
Wear at the advancing mechanism may affect the progressive advance curve that is very critical for the Marine Gasser.

NOTE: If you are considering the Pertronix kits, these are Hall Effect using a small diameter, magnet embedded, plastic ring. :mad:

Suggestions:

Either have these run/checked out on a Sun, Allen or King machine and brought back to within specs..... and then fit the conversion kits.

Or....... replace them with new Electronic systems.

In any event.... don't simply set BASE advance and walk away.
See your OEM advance curve and check the progressive and TA.

Last edited:
Greetings. My 454s have IGNITOR system which I suspect was installed during the late eighties. Check out www.pertronix.com. The saving grace is that you can use your existing distributors. Parts also available from Sierra part number 18.5296.

Thank you very much, i will look into those. I didn't want to pour a ton into the boat, she is more of a dock queen that goes out a few miles several times a year, but don't like the extended cranking it takes to start her.

MyAdvice:

Pertronix OH YES!

REPLACE (do not clean) cap and rotors. Do this every month if neededwhen/if engine compartment is moist. It is an old boat. Just do it. Due to weather and other issues I had a verywet engine compartment this year. I gotcaught with slow engine revving this summer and was very embarrassed when itwas just a bad cap.

REMOVE ballast resistor AND replace coil with a modern engine coil that has theresistance as described in the Pertronix manual. I used the Accel coil behind the counter atAutoZone. Connections are so old inthese boats that the voltage to the coil ends up running at 3 – 6 volts if notcleaned annually.

REPLACE spark plugsand wire. The two issue I describedabove end up fouling the plugs. Purchase the spark plug wires on this web siteor others. Trying to find a matched setup wires at AutoZone will just fail.

CHECK voltage on the engine. Needs to be 12 volts (orhigher) The voltage travels from thebattery, to the wheelhouse, through the key switch, possibly other devices (nota good idea), back to the engine. Oh ya,I forgot: at least 2 engine wiring harnesses. Every connection is a possibleloss of voltage. My problems are batteryterminal connections, and corroded wire harness connections.

Well that is my adventure after 4 seasons on my 1980 42’ Gibson Houseboat 270 Crusaders.

Capt Ron

MississippiRiver

Le Claire Iowa

I have looked for an electronic ignition conversion for these engines but the ones I have found are for distrbutors that are non-vacuum advanced. How do I resolve this?

Ayuh,.... Do the distributors in the motors now, have a vacuum pot, or are they the original Marine, Non-vacuum advanced distributors,..??..??

I read yer line in yer openin' post to say, There Is vacuum to the distributors,.....

Back