Logo

AQ270 Tilt need cast iron clutch part

270tilt

Does anyone know where I can purchase the internally threaded Cast Iron Clutch part that drives the Lift Rod up and down?
It looks like a two start Acme thread, does anyone know the thread pitch, I can make one if I can't buy one (but I'd rather not make it).

Dave

Does anyone know where I can purchase the internally threaded Cast Iron Clutch part that drives the Lift Rod up and down?
It looks like a two start Acme thread, does anyone know the thread pitch, I can make one if I can't buy one (but I'd rather not make it).

Dave

I've got it PM me

Dave, I'm glad to hear that Gary has the part and is willing to sell it to you.

A couple of things:

Yes... the vice rods threads are a double Allen or Acme.... and likewise with the threads within the cast iron clutch component.

The cast iron clutch component is designed to slip when the drive is being pushed back down while the vice rod is retracting upwards.
The upward force causes the cast iron part to separate and release from it's brass counter part... of which is the worm ring gear.

The cast iron clutch component is NOT designed to slip if the electric motor is raising the vice rod without the Hartman microswitch in the loop.
8443_thmb.jpg

The micro switch eventually becomes depressed by the upward moving vice rod (drive going full down).
When depressed, the switch interrupts the motor's Negative circuit just prior to the clutch component reaching the end of the threads.

If the clutch was to reach the end of the vice rod threads....., it will break the cast iron threads off.

People will often run the electric motor independantly from the relays and micro switch for testing... and that's when they get themselves into trouble.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I'm getting this for my Brother (his Boat) and I'm not sure if he tested the limit function. I will pass this info on to him, he wasn't sure why it broke in the first place so this is good info.

Dave

Side note, I wasn't looking forward to making a new part, the Clutch Cone reverse engineering and cutting not so bad. Double start short Acme internal, troublesome to say the least

Back