Logo

Nissan 40hp model/year

cmain

Just bought this (on a '91 14' Livingston), but can find no engine ID plate for parts/manual purchase purposes. Best info I can find says the plate should be on the housing behind the shift lever--nothing there. The photos show the only markings I can find. Can anybody offer a model/year # or at least a ballpark year estimate?

Attachments

• IMG_6411.jpg
    IMG_6411.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_6418.jpg
    IMG_6418.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_6421.jpg
    IMG_6421.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_6416.jpg
    IMG_6416.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_6419.jpg
    IMG_6419.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6423.jpg
    IMG_6423.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 91
It's an NS40C with integral coils. Year is irrelevant for servicing a Tohatsu/Nissan outboard.

It's an NS40C with integral coils. Year is irrelevant for servicing a Tohatsu/Nissan outboard.

Paul-Thanks very much. I'm seeing parts and manual available for '92 and later and assume then that this will work for me? Also "integral coils" sounds like an ignition feature? And I'm hoping that's a good thing? Your help is greatly appreciated--

Skip any aftermarket service manual intended for Tohatsu/Nissan outboards. They are far too general to be of much use. A clue that you are looking at an aftermarket manual is that they are designating the motors by year. Year of manufacture is irrelevant for servicing a Nissan OB. The Factory manuals are available from any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer, and are what you want. The 2-stroke models are now long obsolete, so Tohatsu has combined the 1- and 2-cylinder models into a single manual, but the original info for your model is there, and is correct for your motor.

Likewise, I always prefer OEM parts to aftermarket "1 size fits all" parts. In the end, they are more reliable and durable, which translates into better overall value. If your parts monger is designating year of manufacture, they are not real OEM parts.

The 40C was available either with external ignition coils, or they could also be integrated into the CD box. Current replacement parts have separate coils, so if you end up needing a CD, you will also need 2 ignition coils. No big deal.

Back