Logo

Is different shift cable needed with an SEI upper unit?

douglasnc

Contributing Member
Have been having problems adjusting new shift cable bought for a Mercruiser alpha 1 gen2 out drive. Could not get the six inch adjustment needed no matter what I did. Seven inches was as short as it would adjust. Then I realized I have a SEI brand upper unit and a Mercruiser lower unit. So, I'm wondering if the shift cable needs to be for a SEI brand which is a clone of the Mercruiser. It's a SE116 and the part number for that cable is #19543A4 (OE). Thanks

I have the same setup, and had the same problem... Don't screw the threaded tube all the way in and use the nut to lock it tight . By doing this, the cable is shorter and you get to the 6 inches.

Good luck.

The upper gear case has nothing to do with the shifting or the set up of the cable.

If you can not get the six inches then something is wrong in the set up/installation of the new cable or the linkage.

What, didn't like my answer in your other post. Have installed too many cable to even count and the metal guide tube screws in the way, set the measurement
and install it

What, didn't like my answer in your other post. Have installed too many cable to even count and the metal guide tube screws in the way, set the measurement
and install it

With all due respect BT Doctur, This pic shows the issue the OP is having. With the threaded anchor all the way in, there is no way to get the 6 inches short from cutting the cable which, as we all know, is a no-no. By threading out you can get the 6 inches. This will not affect anything but the end length of the cable. It will have no ill-effect on anything else.

forward.jpg

yep,That's what it looks like.Had to push cable all he way in to get prop to lock into forward. Then couldn't get the six inch's needed. Had it locked sooner, I would have been able to make the adjustment. Wondering if something is worn in out drive. Thanks all. Will keep at it. Puter is acting out a lot for some reason so i'm having a time posting things. Sorry..

the barrel must move in both directions to obtain any adjustment,if the barrel does not move, you replace the guide tube
the guide tube is threaded ALL the way into the cable and the nut tightened
pushing the black tube all the way in gives full fwd gear, and the barrel is adjusted to fit the slot. If it dosent you need to pull the drive to find out why.
that short could mean the arm is not connected to the shift slide correctly, click the pic for the video

Last edited:
Ok, got out drive off. Did find the lower bushing for the shift shaft to be worn and causing play at bottom of shaft. Could that small amount of play cause my problem? Every thing else seemed ok. Screw that holds every thing in place was so tight I fear it will strip before it comes lose to replace bushing. May try some heat on .Thanks again.

Back