Logo

Chrysler 318 Inboard ersions

crashband

Good evening Gents,

I currently have a raw water cooled electronic ignition LM318 connected to a v-drive in a 79 Silverton 26' Flybridge. Due to neglect from the PO, the exhaust manifolds, risers and part of the cylinder heads are rotted out from seawater deposits. I am currently looking at a few potential FWC 318 candidates and would like to know if there were any differences between the models throughout the years. So far all that I've come across are points and have not run into on with electronic ignition yet.

What I want to know is if there was any differences in HP between the models? I've come across threads where people listed the older models putting out roughly 202HP vs the newer electronic ignition ones putting out 225HP as mines is.

Thank you!

All 318s and 360s put out about the same torque at cruising rpms, and that's what matters. Avoid automotive heads--they have different exhaust ports.

Jeff

The LA is an entirely different motor.

Jeff

How would I be able to spot the differences externally?

The reason I ask is that I will be looking at a FWC engine this weekend but the seller has no idea as to what year it is aside that for the fact that it is a 318.

I don't think there is a diff. The M318 & LM318 are the same and the LA318 is the regular pre- Magnum engine so all are the 'same' motor. The Magnum would have the scalloped valve
covers and although they have been put in boats by the owners I doubt you'll see any

Maybe some pictures will help.....................................

Attachments

• Poly318VsLM318.jpg
    Poly318VsLM318.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 88
  • M318_Poly.jpg
    M318_Poly.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
Maybe some pictures will help.....................................

Thank you Dave!! this explains it perfectly!!!!!! I actually thought I was looking for the top ridges and not the bolt pattern nor the "wave"/scalloping (didn't know that was what scalloped meant)

edel-cover.GIF

Hey Guys,

Looking for a little input on this subject here....

I went ahead and started taking apart the raw water cooled LM318 today. According to the firing order, it seems that I have a RH engine since they are going 1-2-7-5-6-3-4-8.

I had assumed that all single screw engines are normally STD LH rotation and not REV RH rotation.

The transmission that's currently on the unit is a Borg Warner 1:1 velvet drive model 10-17-001 coupled to a Walter V-Drive Ratio: 2.09-1 Model: RV30D (Direct?). If I was to purchase a standard rotation engine, will it work with the current transmission?

Back