Logo

1996 Mariner Magnum 40HP Tiller - throttle/carb/plug issues?

jhillman17

Ok, hoping someone has some more knowledge than I do with motors. The story is as follows... this is my dad's boat. He doesnt use it very often maybe 2-3 times a year.

The motor was having a hard time idling earlier this year so we put some carb cleaner in and did some very minor adjustments to carb adjusters. Started idleing better so we assumed things were better. Then we took it out on the river tonight and again, it idled great but didn't have any top end speed. At full throttle it would maybe reach 1/2 speed, maybe a little less... wouldn't even get on plane. We had a screw driver in the boat and adjusted the carb screws a little bit more, but didnt seem to make much of a difference.

However, after some trouble shooting we noticed that it would rev at full speed in nuetral... but under load, it still wouldn't plane out. it would seem to almost stall out. I'm not sure if it's a misfiring issue with the plugs or a carb issue?

I wasn't sure if anyone has ever had/heard of any issues like this... care to venture a guess as to where to start diagnosing the issue. My dad seems to think it's a carb issue, i'm not so sure since it will go full rev when in nuetral. Basically, we don't know where to start, so any thoughts on the issue would give us somewhere to start.

Back