Logo

starter bracket

3 fasteners I think.---------2 bolts on the side and a nut / stud around the front.

Thanks for your help. Actually on the I boats forum I found an older post addressing the same issue. A lieutenant Commander with forum name Cofe Listed five steps with photos that was just the info I was looking for. There is another bolt hidden behind the solenoid. The solenoid has to be removed from its bracket to get to it. Who'd have thunk it? I purchased the repair manual but so far it's been a waste of money. Why couldn't the manual have the info Cofe offered.

Thanks for your help. Actually on the I boats forum I found an older post addressing the same issue. A lieutenant Commander with forum name Cofe Listed five steps with photos that was just the info I was looking for. There is another bolt hidden behind the solenoid. The solenoid has to be removed from its bracket to get to it. Who'd have thunk it? I purchased the repair manual but so far it's been a waste of money. Why couldn't the manual have the info Cofe offered.

Factory service manuals are written for the dealer's service shop. As such, they don't go into great detail about every little bolt and link to remove, because they figure the mechanic is not a novice and can figure it out. I don't say that to put you down in any way, so please don't misunderstand. On the other hand, the generic manuals actually do go into more detail and explain how stuff works better. But they are generic and yes they do contain some errors.

What manual did you buy ????

Seloc Johnson/Evinrude Outboards 1973-89. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff in there but nothing that I could find, so far, in helping me refurbish a 1980 25 HP Evinrude. Searchng the forums is where I found the answers to all my questions. Look through that manual and tell me if you find anything about removing a starter bracket or about removing the solenoid to get to a bolt hidden behind it.

I happen to have that manual and you are right, it doesn't say anything about your model. It does say how to get the older 40hp starter off though. AND, it also missed a few screws!! Like I said, it is generic and does contain errors. But it also includes a lot of stuff you won't find in the factory one.

I happen to have that manual and you are right, it doesn't say anything about your model. It does say how to get the older 40hp starter off though. AND, it also missed a few screws!! Like I said, it is generic and does contain errors. But it also includes a lot of stuff you won't find in the factory one.

Yeah I know, it's probably a good manual, I guess what I need is "Boat Repairs for Dummies". I'm just frustrated. Never had to fix stuff like this myself, I'm a woodworker, not a mechanic by a long shot. At 68 years old and on Social Security, I've got to learn though. I've gone through the carburetor and it still won't run. If I hold that flap on the front of the carburetor closed, it will idle, but when I open it the motor shuts off.

By flap, you mean the choke? Sure sounds like a plugged or restricted high speed jet. Did you check it? I assume you will say yes....everybody does.

By flap, you mean the choke? Sure sounds like a plugged or restricted high speed jet. Did you check it? I assume you will say yes....everybody does.

No, I cleaned everything I saw with a hole in it. I cleaned the slow speed adjustment and the float needle and seat. Where is the high speed jet? Will I have to take the carburetor off to get to it. Wish I'd talked to you first.

High speed jet is found in bottom of the float bowl.----9 out of 10 folks are not aware of it when working on these motors for the first time.-------They often ask " why does my motor not run " after cleaning the carburetor 3 times !!!

High speed jet is found in bottom of the float bowl.----9 out of 10 folks are not aware of it when working on these motors for the first time.-------They often ask " why does my motor not run " after cleaning the carburetor 3 times !!!

I tried to reply earlier but something happened. Anyway, after you asked me about the high speed jet I looked it up. Part #30. I took out the drain plug and ran a fine wire in there and then blew it out . I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks.

I took it out for a test run. Give it gas and it dies. Let off and it returns to idle. Give it throttle, revs up for a second, then dies. Any suggestions?

Back