Logo

1974 6hp evinrude remove power plant

F Murtz

If I remove the bolts holding the leg to the motor base plate will it just come apart? I want to free up the gear shift shaft.

also it is at the moment a long leg and I want eventually to remove the 5" bit and shorten it, is it possible to cut and weld the drive shaft or do I have to try and find a short one?

The connecter for the shift shaft is found at one of the joints for the lower unit,-------No need to remove the powerhead on this model.

The connecter for the shift shaft is found at one of the joints for the lower unit,-------No need to remove the powerhead on this model.

No I am talking about the shaft that the external gear shift operating lever is on just below engine, it is almost seized, can only just change gear with a lot of effort.
Can not get at it unless engine removed from leg.

7 screws will remove the powerhead ---Then you have to clean corrosion out of the shift shaft hole.-----Carefull as a new shift shaft is $$$$

If you have a really good welder, you could cut and shorten the driveshaft.. if it was me, I'd find the proper one.

Back