Logo

2 port carb, 4,3 merc, disconnect or adjust the automatic choke?

Garpen61

I have problem starting the engine when it has stand still for about one day. When I have started it once its starts very easy, just a touch with the starter and engine runs...

I have heard that it has to do with the automatic choke, I also heard that the best way to solve the problem is to disconnect the choke function.

What is your opinion?

If I should disconnect, how do I do it?

It seems like its to much petrol in the system, when it starts i smokes a lot and smell gas.
I have a brand new engine, with a overhauled carburetor, new ignition parts. I have installed an electric gas pump.

I´ll check that next boating day... I think the choke still is enabled.

Thanks

Clean the flame arrestor first with a clean rag.

second when cold starting how are you doing it?

Please tell us your method.

I just turn the key and let the gas-pump go for a few seconds, then turn the key. It worked fine two weeks ago. I also tried the same way as I did on my old engine, pump it a couple of times before turn the starter, then it get really rich and smoked a lot. Then the boat has been unused for two weeks, I did as I used to do, let the pump pump for a few seconds then turn the key, it doesn't start and smell gas, not logical but the only I can think of is to give it more gas, it ignite but dosent start and still smells gas, I put the gas in idle position and turn the engine for maybe 30 seconds and then it starts and smoke a lot.

The Flame arretstor is clean.

I´ll try your tip with the screwdriver next time

Last edited:
If carb bowl is full and engine in tune, all you should need is one full stroke of the accelerator pump, i.e., throttle. On my 5.7 2BBL, I do one full pump (once the bowl is full) and then open the throttle very slightly from full closed.

If when cold you pump once or twice, leave the throttle handle at about 10:00 and control it when the motor starts this may work better for you.

Once a cold engine starts YOU have to control the throttle. YOU must maintain Approximatley 1200 -1500 rpms for at least the first 30 seconds.

Not sure how old you are but back in the days of carbed automobile motors, they has a high idle cam so you would depress the gas peddle one or two times when cold and this would set the choke closed and also set the idle on the high idle cam. this would make the motor run fast for a while and most times you would have to hit the peddle once to "kick" it off the high idle cam.

Well Boat carbs don't have the high idle cam so YOU must maintain high idle.

If the boat continnues to run rough after that then it would make me believe you have a choke issue.

The choke should close when pumping the throttle when cold. When you start to crank it it should open ~ 1/16 - 1/8 inch to allow air in and once it starts it should open to approxiamtely 3/4 to wide open in about one minute or so.

If it does not do this the choke mechanism may be suspect.

Back