Logo

Bad Gas - why is the water part white and milky in color?

ams949

So I had a used 2001(but new to me) 200hp Johnson Oceanrunner outboard installed on my 1998 20' striper cuddy cabin boat this weekend, before hooking up the gas line I checked the gas condition and look what I had found (see attached picture) I pumped this out of the tank and didn't really smell like bad gas but just diluted gas.... The boat sat for about 8 months with stabil in it, it was also in a parking lot of a mechanic that I'm sure had issues with his neighbors. So thinking someone put something in the tank? but cant prove it... The tank is a plastic belly tank built in to the boat, and the hoses are new. So my question is why white and milky look to it?? I will pump out the rest of the fuel but now how do I clean the tank? Do you think the plastic is breaking down? why white? FYI the fuel in the glass jar had sat for about 2 hours before I took this picture, any advise will be appreciated :eek: for some reason I can not upload the pic I have but will email it if you want to see it?

I always run a fuel/ water separator in my boats, the kits are cheap there easy to fit and they are very good peace of mind, I always try to keep the amount of breaks in the fuel lines to the bare minimum less clamps there are less chances of leakage, a good separator is all you need, no further filters needed just change the canister rountinely

So I had a used 2001(but new to me) 200hp Johnson Oceanrunner outboard installed on my 1998 20' striper cuddy cabin boat this weekend, before hooking up the gas line I checked the gas condition and look what I had found (see attached picture) I pumped this out of the tank and didn't really smell like bad gas but just diluted gas.... The boat sat for about 8 months with stabil in it, it was also in a parking lot of a mechanic that I'm sure had issues with his neighbors. So thinking someone put something in the tank? but cant prove it... The tank is a plastic belly tank built in to the boat, and the hoses are new. So my question is why white and milky look to it?? I will pump out the rest of the fuel but now how do I clean the tank? Do you think the plastic is breaking down? why white? FYI the fuel in the glass jar had sat for about 2 hours before I took this picture, any advise will be appreciated :eek: for some reason I can not upload the pic I have but will email it if you want to see it?

Your engine has VRO? unleaded fuel will go bad very quickly, tanks will absorb moisture, when Im done with my boat I run the fuel leftovers through the mower or the car, drain the tank and if you can let it dry upside down, u can when run a little bit of metho spirit u may know it as white spirit it will combine any water and make it combustible.

Back