Logo

1974 Johnson 85hp carburetor rebuild

mvabate

I'm in need of a little help. This is my 1st boat and 1st carburetor rebuild. I rebuilt the carburetors because of hard starting. Now when I prime it, I can hear air leaking out of carburetor area, and while cranking gas leaks out of the bottom carb. I have the motor almost completely lowered. I used the rebuild kit 18-7046. I benched tested the carb by blowing in the fuel line and flipping over the carb. One way I get air flow, the other I don't. I think that means my needle isn't sticking. My next step is to get gas to the carb on the bench and see if I can spot the leak. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for any help.

Assuming that you have installed new float needle valve seat assemblies......................

(Carburetor Float Setting)
(J. Reeves)

With the carburetor body held upside down, the float being viewed from the side, adjust the float so that the free end of the float (the end opposite the hinge pin) is ever so slightly higher (just ever so slightly off level) than the other end. And when viewed from the end, make sure it is not cocked.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Thanks Joe, I adjusted it as you described. Reassembled it, and it fired rt up. I disconnected the gas line and let it run out of gas. It sits in between uses and I thought this would be a good idea. I tried restarting it a week later and I'm back to the carb leaking while I crank it. It wouldn't kick over. Can someone clarify, with my carb rebuild do my needle seats need a gasket under them? The old one had nylon o-rings, the kit I used had cork material gasket that I installed. I read somewhere not to use any gasket / o-ring under the seat. I think something is sticking the needle or the float, not exactly sure.
Thanks

There should be a nylon washer under the brass seat.

Possibly you are using the old needle valve seat and needle? If so, check that the tapered portion of the needle is not scored. Also, if using thr old seat and needle... make sure that the outsides of the needle and the inside ID of the seat are perfectly clean (Not gummy).

Joe, it didn't come with the nylon washers. Only the gasket style washers. I used the 18-7046 carb kit, which I thought was correct for my motor (85ESL-74B)

Back