Logo

Whine in 2010 Mercury 60 Big Foot

wish2fish

Regular Contributor
I am looking at a pontoon boat with a 2010 Mercury 60 Big Foot. When the motor is in neutral you don't here anything. When you put in gear and run at idle you don't hear anything. When you get to 1500 RPM you start to hear a whine. If you accelerate further the whine goes away. Any idea what this could be?

I am going to have a mechanic look at the motor before buying, just want to be a little informed before I take the boat to him.

Thanks,

mine is quieter and smoother at that rpm....but i am not pushing the weight you are at that point....you are pushing a load of water with pontoons..sorry i could not be of help...a lot of people will say ''it just sounds like a merc''..let a tech get a computer readout for you and check compression for sure before you buy...i am curious as to how many hours on it....he should be able to get a readout broken down to rpm ranges...so many hours in the 1 to 2k rpm range and the 2-3k range etc..

about 155 hours. Boat is 2011, motor is 2010. I know the owner, and have ridden on this toon numerous times. Not the kind of guy to push things. even when I wasn't on this boat it was usually putting along.

As stated, I'm having a survey done but just wanted to get some thoughts beforehand.

about 155 hours. Boat is 2011, motor is 2010. I know the owner, and have ridden on this toon numerous times. Not the kind of guy to push things. even when I wasn't on this boat it was usually putting along.

As stated, I'm having a survey done but just wanted to get some thoughts beforehand.

Did you ever find out what was wrong? I have same issue with 50 HP Bigfoot.
Put on new prop 14/11 to replace old 14/11. Get same whine between 1800-2200 rpm.
No whine when old prop is put back on.

Back