Logo

Repair old engine or buy a brand new one? I'm new to boating.

tat

What do you folks think i should do?

I bought an old 22ft cabin cruiser and am doing it all out from the shell. I am very happy with this as it is just how i want it, or should i say 'we' as this is something my long-term girlfriend is enthusiastically involved with, too. We go caravan touring and now want to do the same but on the waterways.

I took the outboard, Yam 9.9 1985, electric start and with remote, to the marine engineers for them to have a look at, as I bought it not knowing if it worked (the previous owner passed away).

Well, the engineer had an investigation of it and a asked me to call in. He said he'd turned it over, but couldn't run it because it needed a lowercase bracket and new shafts that run down through the outboard as they were twisted due to this bracket having broken. All-in-all, he says he can do the work and fit the parts and it would cost me about £600 on top of his time to investigate it but the price could increase if more was found to be needed, and with all this needed until the engine could be tried in the tank there is no guarantee that it will work at all or how long it will work with reliability; the water-cooling system might have a blockage in it, maybe, or any other thing that might mean it will not last or be trouble-free even if it runs.

His gut reaction was to suggest i just get a brand new one, about £2.5k.

It is a bit of a jump up from what i was expecting to have to spend to have a running and serviced motor, but I can see the sense in his words IF such a brand new motor would give good and long service and be reliable and incur no more expectant cost. So would such a new engine last me ten or more years without any trouble, could i expect that if i got a new one?

Are there any other reasons/ideas you might have that i haven't thought of (and I am a total beginner with boating) for what you suggest I should do.

Also, I think we will progress from canals onto rivers at some point, so if I buy a replacement should I get a bigger engine to cope with rivers, and what size do you think i should get, then I will not need to change the engine as our pleasure cruising progresses.

Cheers.

the 9.9 for that boat is just a kicker motor...thats a motor to get you in when the big motor breaks down..it will move the boat real slow and will take you forever to get anywhere....you will need a larger motor..quite a bit larger...actual size depends on the weight and design of the boat...talk to your 'engineer' and get his recommendation..get ready to spend more than 2.5k...

Back