Logo

2002 bf225 maintenance inquiry

So as some of you may know i have twin bf225's year 2002. Im getting ready to do some more basic maintenance. I have had a random overheat alarm go off while wot or fast cruise and the boat porpoising a bit. Long story short i want to know if anyone has a spare thermostat and can actually give me the number printed on the tstat not the box or package from honda. I know it should have a serial number imprinted or engraved on the metal itself. I would like to cross match it with a local auto store and see if we can find a suitable replacement since they are pretty much a yearly or every two year maintenance item. I have 326 hrs on these engines and would like to know as much as possible on them.

Why are thermostats an every year or two replacement? Im new to Hondas but my Yamaha had 1 replaced in 1000 hours over 5 years. How did you determine they need to be replaced?

If you want to do your own maintenance and diagnostics, invest in the Official Helm Shop Manual for the Honda 225. It's about $116 on eBay or Amazon. Chapter 3 of that manual gives the complete maintenance procedures, step by step.

Have you tried to pull codes from your MIL light by shunting the service connector? That procedure has been described many times on this forum. Otherwise send me an e-mail at [email protected], and I will attach the procedure and return the e-mail.

BTW, I think a misfiring spark plug or failing coil may set off the alarm at high speed, as will a failing HO2 sensor. When is the last time you changed the plugs? Use ONLY NGK IZFR6F11 iridium tipped plugs.

If you want to do your own maintenance and diagnostics, invest in the Official Helm Shop Manual for the Honda 225. It's about $116 on eBay or Amazon. Chapter 3 of that manual gives the complete maintenance procedures, step by step.

Have you tried to pull codes from your MIL light by shunting the service connector? That procedure has been described many times on this forum. Otherwise send me an e-mail at [email protected], and I will attach the procedure and return the e-mail.

BTW, I think a misfiring spark plug or failing coil may set off the alarm at high speed, as will a failing HO2 sensor. When is the last time you changed the plugs? Use ONLY NGK IZFR6F11 iridium tipped plugs.
Thanks for replying c hawk, i keep looking other threads and i see a pattern on thermostats used on saltwater boats. Seems as if every 300-400 hrs one of them fails and depending on usage it can be a yearly thing to add to maintenance. Plugs have aabout 3 months since new and only ngk was used. My issue seems only if the boat skips a lot on top of the water or starts to porpoise. I have fixed the porpoising issue by moving the engines up 2holes and the anti cavitation plate is out of the water. This resulted in over 4mph top speed gain and resolved porpoising as well. When the boat porpoised badly or i was going wot over waves the port engine over heat alarm would go off. I would turn it off and restart and let idle for a few minutes to resume cooling. The engines pee nicely and pressure increase when throttle is increased. I think it means my water pumps are good and i would feel more comfortable adding new stats. I will email you for those instructions and would like the stamped number on the stats if possible. Thanks for the time to answer.

Several issues here.

T-stats do tend to get clogged and corroded on these 225's when used in saltwater. I'm in saltwater exclusively and I change mine every 200 - 300 hours, usually every season since I put 250 to 300 hours on my engine per year. I suspect that your overheating problem is related to what you are calling porpoising. It sounds as if you have move the engine entirely too high. See next.

Porpoising: The anti-cavitation plate should be well under water when the boat is at rest. The anti-cavitation plate should be even with the lowest part of the transom. If you are using an engine extension, then raise the anti-cavitation plate 1" for each 12 inches of offset from the transom. When running at WOT, the anti-cavitation plat should be riding just on top of the water's surface. The porpoising action is typically a problem with either the trim of the engine or a very off-balanced load on the boat - i.e. too much load aft. Remember, each of those 225's weigh between 625 lbs. to 655 lbs. Try moving a lot more weight forward. Also try trimming the engine all the way down (in) to stop the porpoising. If both of those options do not kill the porpoising all together, then consider installing trim tabs on the transom. I prefer the Lenco electric trim tabs.

I don't think I have any old t-stats laying around but will look.

Chawk, thanks for the prompt reply, i had an issue with this boat were the plates were underwater at cruising speeds, this caused the engines to be buried and drag the stern to where the boat would porpoise at even the lowest trim settings. This has been corrected now by lifting the engines a few holes and now it is in fact resolved. I was just wondering if i can find that thermostat number and maybe i can pick one up locally without having to order one from honda and wait so long.

Back