Logo

omc stern drive slipping

bpalmer

I just bought a 1977 sea ray srv 240 with a 235 351w ford engine and a omc stern drive believe its all original and has about 500 hours on it motor runs great but when took it out the drive ran good for a bit then the stern drive started acting like like its slipping would turn the prop but not proportional to rpm in either direction. Any help would be appreciated

If it is a electric shift model and the propeller is not the problem, someon may have put the wrong gear oil in the lower case. The print on the oil container must say "FOR ELECTRIC SHIFT" . Good luck

If it is a electric shift model and the propeller is not the problem, someone may have put the wrong gear oil in the lower case. The print on the oil container must say "FOR ELECTRIC SHIFT" . Good luck

Electric shift propellers, despite being a pin type, still have a rubber friction hub that can rot and cause slip.

Good point Kenny. I've seen those units slip that came from another marina and all I did was change the oil and it cured the problem.

Back