Logo

Chrysler M440 Cooling Help

brl96

Guys,

I am trying to get a 1974 century resorter back on the water. It has a Chrysler M440. It has been sitting for 10 years. I started it today with the inboard flush kit on it. It mounts underneath the boat. Once the boat started, I turned the water on. It ran for about 20 seconds and no water came out so I turned it off. I checked the thermostat and there was none installed. I will correct that. My question is does the water pump need to be primed? I pulled the pump out and the impellers look good but it was dry. I also plan on flushing all the lines before retrying. If priming is required, how is that done?

Thanks for the help.

Guys,

I am trying to get a 1974 century resorter back on the water. It has a Chrysler M440. It has been sitting for 10 years. I started it today with the inboard flush kit on it. It mounts underneath the boat. Once the boat started, I turned the water on. It ran for about 20 seconds and no water came out so I turned it off. I checked the thermostat and there was none installed. I will correct that. My question is does the water pump need to be primed? I pulled the pump out and the impellers look good but it was dry. I also plan on flushing all the lines before retrying. If priming is required, how is that done?

Thanks for the help.

Did you make sure that the sea cock /thru hull fitting is open? Usually does not need to be primed.

Ditto above, but if this has been sitting for 10 years the impeller needs changed. It is likely to fail quite rapidly and you may spend some time finding all the pieces.

Back