Logo

'74 Johnson, 70 HP, removing from boat - a real newby question

AyeAyeCapn

Sorry about the dumb question - never had an outboard over 6 hp before. I'm removing a 70 HP (70ESl 74M) from a 72 16' fiberglass runabout to reinforce the transom. The mechanical cables from the dual function control unit at the helm, and, (1) multi-lead cable from the controls to the engine look like a nightmare to remove. I'd rather disconnect from the engine rather than the controls. What do you do, or recommend? Engine is easier to get to. Thanks for your input and for not laughing. I don't want to create a nightmare putting it back together.

It is a simple matter to disconnect it at the engine (really). Electric harness is two battery cables and the big red plug (+ the clamp at the entry). Remote controls are disconnect at the end, plus the clamp where the plastic adjusting nut is located.

It is a simple matter to disconnect it at the engine (really). Electric harness is two battery cables and the big red plug (+ the clamp at the entry). Remote controls are disconnect at the end, plus the clamp where the plastic adjusting nut is located.

THANKS for your advice, and encouragement - the cables for power and choke had me spooked the most - got brave with your advice - all took maybe 15 minutes. I might become good with this yet....if this was an Atomic 4 I could do all with my eyes closed, BUT, when I don't know, I ask questions. Thanks again!

Back