Logo

Ballast resistors

pete31

Regular Contributor
Gentlemen,
A quick qustion...is there a difference between marine & auotmotive ballast resistors ?? I recently changed mine with one I bought at an auto parts store for my small blocks, I was having stalling issues after a long run, changed the coil while I was at it too, engine fired right up, ran fine for a short trip. This past weekend I took her for a longer run up into the Trent Canal, no stalling, but when I tried to restart the hot engine,in the first lock, she no go..after a little cursing I lifted the floor and put the old resistor back on, BOOM fired right up, and ran like a top all day, and the next day too...I'm stumped, I have checked the part number from Sierra, its the same part number for Chrysler. Crusader, Chriscraft, & I suspect any other motor with a ballast.
Any idea's ??? thanks
Pete

Difference between marine and automotive ballast resisters are the automotive resistors is open to the atmosphere, where as the marine is sealed in epoxy type material.
Using a non-marine ballast resister is kind of like putting a toaster on your engine. DONT Check that the spade connectors to the ballast resister are tight!
bill

Had a similar problem with an automotive resistor. They're so cheap (like me!) that I just stock up on them. Avoid spade connectors on these! The bolted on type are far more reliable.

Jeff

PS: I keep a jumper wire handy for when a ballast resistor dies. Jumping across the terminals will get the motor going, but one doesn't want to keep running it that way.

Great. Hope you carry a spare.

Jeff

PS: Go virtually an spare entire ignition system spare on mine! I know; I'm anal.

Back