Logo

Honda BF15D carby problem

bradbf15d

Hi guys about a month ago you helped me out with cleaning out my carby. Today i finally had a chance to take it for a test run. Two things happened. First it was a bit harder to start and when it did start i had to give it a rev to keep it going, when it warmed up it was ok.This was not much of a problem.Then when i stopped i smelt fuel and after removing the coel there was fuel leaking out of ther acelerator boot. Although the boot is cracked i believe the boot is only there to protect shaft from getting dirt on it. I believe that i will need to buy a new acelarator plunger and boot. Also do you guys know the best place to buy parts from remembering i am in Australia and some places dont post Thanks in advance.

The boot or "bellows" is VERY important in keeping crap out of your carb. And, as you've already seen, it keeps gasoline from exiting the accelerator pump chamber. You probably shouldn't use the outboard if it's not in good shape.

It is possible that the accelerator pump circuit in the carb is partially plugged. The outboard will not run correctly if that circuit isn't COMPLETELY free and clear.

The website--- boats.net --- ships parts to Australia. They have a drop down box on the page for international shipping. I don't know whether or not this is the "best" place for you but it is an excellent source for Honda parts in the States with just about the lowest prices available.

Depending on what 15 D you have it may also have a "fuel chamber" attached to the engine dipstick tube. Those can get a buildup of water in them and should be periodically taken off and drained out to keep that from causing problems.

Item 2 in the link below is the fuel chamber.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF15D3 LHSA/FUEL PUMP (2)/parts.html

Can someone please tell me that if the boot was in good condition would the fuel not come out or is it bypassing the plunger or casn there be another problem

I thought I did.

If the boot is in good shape, the fuel will NOT come out. The accelerator pump circuit in these carburetors is pretty much CRAP ON A CRACKER. If you left the piston COMPLETELY OUT, you probably wouldn't notice it IF you left the push rod (plunger) in and the boot was in good shape.

The accelerator pump PISTON'S fit in the bore is NOT precise so, yes, there is "bypassing" taking place in there even when it is working "correctly". Also, there can be mild pressure build up if the circuit is DIRTY but not enough to "squirt" fuel out of a GOOD boot (bellows).

I have seen the accelerator pump tube orifice completely blocked but with no fuel coming out of a good boot.

Last edited:
Back