Logo

can someone tell me what this is and where it goes

j.oelshlegel

35052tu.jpg

Hey everyone. Names jeff. New to the board. I have a 1985 33 cris craft commander with twin 454s. Im embarassed I dont know what this is, ive seen a hundred of em, and im actually a good mechanic. I just got the boat. Someone was working on it before I got it. They were doing the manifolds and risers,, which I am taking on now. The port motor is done and apparently this wasnt re installed after the manifolds and risers were put on. Is it some sort of ign module ? There is two ground wires hanging off it too.....thanks in advance.

Is it some sort of ign module ? There is two ground wires hanging off it too.....thanks in advance.

Ayuh,.... That looks like the ole riser mounted control box for the T-Bolt IV ignition, before they went to the distributor mounted unit,...

It hangs off the inside of a riser on a little bracket,....
Don't remember which side, whichever the wires reach I guess,...

Hey bondo.
I found out that yes, it os an ignition amplifier. Now is there any reason that it would be different b on the starboard motor ? I found the mounting location, of course the guy that took it apart broke off the bolts inside of the old riser :rolleyes: on the port motor there is this (the box), on the starboard motor its just a what looks like a triangular shaped sensor plug (correct, on the inside of the riser)...Would this one box control both engines??????
Thanks for the input

Hey bondo.
I found out that yes, it os an ignition amplifier. Now is there any reason that it would be different b on the starboard motor ? I found the mounting location, of course the guy that took it apart broke off the bolts inside of the old riser :rolleyes: on the port motor there is this (the box), on the starboard motor its just a what looks like a triangular shaped sensor plug (correct, on the inside of the riser)...Would this one box control both engines??????
Thanks for the input

Nope,.... each motor will have it's own ignition,....

That's exactly what it is...the original post's pic is the "original" ignition amp and the other was the "improved" design....

Same functions, details driven by the "guts" inside (usually stamped on the plates of the improved ones) .

Jeff, that unit is what the guys are suggesting.

Your ignition systems are EST.
EST = Electronic Spark Timing.

There is no mechanical advancing within the ignition distributor.
Minus BASE advance, the distributor offers full advance to the module.
The module then progressively delays the spark events as per engine RPM.

If you question the function of the modules, strobe your timing marks as you increase engine speed up the "full-in" RPM.
Compare your findings to your OEM specs.

Back