Logo

Mariner 28e mystery NOT firing on 1 cylinder

philmartin

Hi Guys, G'day from Phil. Downunder in Australia. I HAVE A Genuine mystery problem with a Mariner 28e (model 664) and would really appreciate any help anybody can offer.
Starts and runs on 1 cylinder PERFECTLY (upper cylinder in block)
Compression checks out, both cylinders good
Have spark to both new plugs (blue/white) (by cranking and earthing plug against block). Also have spark to old plugs using same method
New plugs and even swapped plugs between cylinders, no change
Have swapped over coils and interchanged them between cylinders with no change. Also swapped out spare coils, no change
Have cleaned and set points. No change
Swapped over leaf valves from a spare engine, no change. Put back in originals
Here is the whole thing, engine runs as I said on 1 cylinder (upper), but the bottom cylinder after running the engine and removing the spark plug is completely DRY in the cylinder head, no oil traces, no signs of fuel, and no water and NO GO! Spark plug completely clean and unfired
I HAVE ONLY CHANGED ONE COMPONENT/PART AT A TIME SO AS NOT TO COMPOUND THE ISSUE.
I do have 1 and 1/2 spare engines so can swap over anything anybody suggests.
I do have another question please. When looking at the leaf (reed) valves should they be in perfect alignment covering their respective openings or have a slight crack opening?
Many thanks in advance, regards Phil
ps I saw on a thread somewhere somebody maybe wanted some pistons? I can help if they still need them for the cost of postage from Australia assuming they are OK when I pull them. Otherwise free

Bottom crank seal leaking, engine sucking/blowing air.
Many thansk for the heads up as an idea as to what may be happening. Do you mean the seal
at the crankshaft output shaft end or
Seal between reed valves and crankcase or
between the actual lower housing of the 'sump. like between the block and the lower casing?
If the above is too vague I could mark the areas I think you rae referring to with a 'white out' or similar and send a photo?
Again, many thanks for your thought and attention
regards Phil

Back