Logo

2006 merc 60hp 4 stroke efi big foot rough idle, won't plane, 3 beep horn

Mike R

Hello,
New to forum, would be grateful for knowledgeable feedback. Engine sn IC030035.
runs in my opinion somewhat rough at idle, can hold rev at 5000+rpm out of water with muffs on.
when dropped in water, runs "rough" can't get above 2300 rpm, 3 beep horn.
have replaced: fuel in tank, primer bulb, fuel filter in plastic viewable case, cleaned fuel injectors, replaced spark plugs.

whats next in the most logical least expensive order?

Extra info, not sure if this is a cause or not..problems began after putting non ethanol in 5 gallons... Don't think that was it. Might have over filled oil past max fill line....could be a combo problem.
fuel I pulled out had a caramel tint to it-I did sea foam it prior to draining. My marina uses 89non ethanol. Bought the boat used last November, they said well maintained by family member who worked at authorized svc center..

ran perfect the week before I put garage gas in it.

The gas was maybe 3 weeks old, had ethanol - I completely drained tank. The plugs I took out were black/brown,and a little ashy colored. Have since replaced both fuel filters, drained oil to acceptable level (under max).added mercury fuel engine cleaner. Took back out on water. Still runs rough, can get a little more power - enough to get on plane, but still no real power- won't get over 4200 rpm now, 3horn beep still present.
next steps: replace fuel line, send injectors to be professionally cleaned, add fuel/water separator, regap plugs to .030 from .038, replace spark plug wires.
how old was that gas you put in it?

how old was the gas you pulled out with the caramel color i should have asked...if your next step dont fix it i would take it to a merc dealer and get a computer readout...from what i can find a 3 beeper tells you to do just that as it could mean a few things that can only be decoded by a computer readout...l

Back