Logo

15hp Johnson motor "spitting" water out

lmlujano

I have a 15hp Johnson outboard motor I started a couple weeks ago. I'm new at this, but I do know the motor is supposed to "pee" out water when started. It's more like "spitting". I crossed my fingers and ran it like that. It ran great. My question is: Is "spitting" water out normal for this type motor? If not, what needs to be done?

should be constant like a hose pipe running ...the impellor needs changing ..simple job ...look at youtube videos and save urself a load of dosh ..about 12 quid for new one

Unless the motor was made between 1974 and 1976, then spitting is about all you get.

In any event, if you do not know when the impeller was changed last, it needs changing. 5 years is the longest you should go before the next impeller change.

It's a 1981 I bought 2 years ago from a guy that "Repairs" and sells motors. Has his own shop, But who knows if it's been done!
I ordered the Impeller and water pump. going to replace both, just in case.
Thanks all
-lml

Re: 15hp Johnson motor, other issues (besides "spitting" water out)

O.K......now that were in the middle of winter in So.Cal., I'm starting to do some work on my motor (ie. replace water pump).
My (other) concerns:
1-The motor stall's after a few seconds when in Neutral. Is this a timing issue?
2-I have a (massive) oil/gas leak between the (bare w/me guyz) motor housing and the shaft housing.
(Sorry, I am new to this and trying to upload a photo)

Last edited:
O.K.....I pulled the lower unit off and replace the water pump / Impeller while in neutral. reinstalled the lower unit, installed the slot screw to the shifter rod, put in all 6 bolts very loosely. At this point I can shift to Reverse and Forward. After tightening the 6 bolts, it will not shift to Forward. (It will go into Reverse) Plz...what step am I missing???

did you have it running if not manually turn the propeller and shift it. They don't like to shift when they are not running the dog binds on the gear

Maybe you don't have the shifter rod all the way into the sleeve. The notch in the rod must line up with the bolt hole. You have to get it perfect too or the bolt will bind and rub the threads off as it spins along the shift rod. When I have the lower unit off, I always very slightly spread the coupling to ease install and alignment when putting in the bolt with your hemostat or long nose pliers. Even when you take the bolt out, be careful that it isn't turning too hard. if it turns too hard then you need to move the rod up or down inside the coupling until it doesn't bind. How did the water pump impeller look? If okay, then maybe your indicator tube is plugged with debris. If so, then you should pull out the thermostat as debris collects there too. Blow things out, use a vacuum, whatever.........get the crap out as best you can. If the impeller is/was breaking apart, then the pieces may be up inside the motor where I mentioned above. I have seen a new impeller installed but the debris from the old damaged one was left in the motor.

As far as oil/gas leak.....its got to be coming down from somewhere else. Probably the fuel pump or a hose. Dry everything off and see if you can study the leak from its source. Might not even have to start the motor, just pump good pressure into it from the tank.

Did not have it running, didn't want to risk stripping the rod gears. I will try manually.
Will do everything else you suggested. Thank you in advance for your time & help!

Back