Logo

1989 25 hp Evinrude hi-speed stalls

dlon14485

Motor starts and runs fine up to mid-throttle range. Full throttle goes strong for ~ 5 - 7 seconds then stalls. If I drop throttle fast it will catch and stay running at low throttle position. I have cleaned carb (wasn't dirty). Fuel screen in pump is clean too. Seems like fuel pump cuts out? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the quick response. I did have the jets out and blast the circuits - no residue. And note that it runs strong while it runs! Not sure I understand your comment about the soft plug. The bulb trick doesn't help prevent the stall. So that leaves the fuel tank strainer or spark shorts out coil at high RPM? I would think that coil problems would be common and well understood but I see nobody describing my motor's intermittent performance!

QUOTE=kimcrwbr1;485039]Get a rebuild kit and pull the jets and the soft plugs. Cleaning a carb is just a bandaid until you can get the parts and rebuild it properly. You will need to make a screwdriver to pull the jets just grind a larger screwdriver to fit the hole and the slot on the jet. I soak it good with carb cleaner and blast the circuits good with high pressure water. Use a socket about half the size of the soft plug and just tap it down almost flat. It could be a restriction in the fuel tank strainer what you do is take it WOT and when it starts to stall pump on the primer bulb. If it picks up speed the fuel pump is suspect, if the primer bulb is collapsed the tank is suspect if it dont help at all the carb is suspect.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the fuel pump needs attention.----Repair kits for them are cheap.-------Check o-ring on the connecters of the fuel hose from tank to motor.

Back