Logo

V6 3.3L250 vs V64.2L250 is the extra torque worth added cost

prawn guy

Good morning I've been running a 250 Saltwater Series on a commercial prawn boat.Through trial and error(blown blocks) I've got it propped right and don't want to change the size but wish to repower with a new 3.3L250 or a 4.2L 250 - the 250 Saltwater series had a gear ratio of1.81:1 the 3.3L 250 has a ratio of 2:1 and the 4.2L has a ratio of 1.75:1.With these ratios in mind I'm inclined to repower with the V6 3.3L I like the lower gear ratio as it should help with less stress on the motor with heavy loads which is critical.The 2500-3500 RPM range was where the blocks blew with heavy loads.With that said the dealers are very rock and roll on promoting the 4.2 yes they may have more torque due to the bigger cylinders but we have this reduction issue and why pay more(instrument cost $2,500)I'm skeptical as to how much more torque they have and they are lighter.I'm confused, which would be the best most dependable motor for my heavy load application and I'm not comfortable that the dealers are addressing my concerns.Maybe someone can give me their objective opinion.Thanks

Thanks for opinion I'm inclined to go this way but was shot down in flames by a dealer who promoted the 4.2L250 over the 3.3L but he didn't give specifics of how much more torque is offered in the 4.2 (I got real tired of blowing up blocks on my Saltwater Series from overloading and over propped we've solved these issues).I don't want to be and can ill afford to make an error in my new purchase.Thanks

Back