Logo

84 150 slow hole shot.

sermax

I have an 1984 150hp on an 18' Arrow Glass Freedom one I believe that is correct. The hole shot sucks what might I be doing wrong? I just bought this boat used a week ago and trying to figure it out. I have tried several different tilt and trim angles.

Last edited:
I have an 1984 150hp on an 18' Arrow Glass Freedom one I believe that is correct. The hole shot sucks what might I be doing wrong? I just bought this boat used a week ago and trying to figure it out. I have tried several different tilt and trim angles.

Usually motor tilted all way down is best bet. Prop size is factor , some people want to go wide open and not worry about hole shot. Some say a 4 blade prop is better for hole shot. I had a 19 ft. Cobia with 150 evinrude. Lost power on hole shot and a few miles per hr. top speed, no vibration or unusual sounds. Blew ring off piston, no compression in one cylinder. These big motors run well on 5 cylinders. Not suggesting you have a problem like that but a compression check will let you know if motor is weak. Are you running top of your safe rpm range? I should think that 150hp motor should plane your boat fine if motor is strong and prop is right size for you boat.

I can add to the post by saying it takes a long time before the motor generates enough power to push the boat to plane.

Sounds like quite a bit of prop. Often times guys/gals will mistakenly go with some insane amount of pitch because "bubba" said pitch=speed.

It does, but only if you have the required horsepower to turn it - otherwise, it bogs, and limps it's way along overloading the motor until she finally gets the boat to climb out of the water and get on plane.

You need to fix the tach and see what the motor is turning before you try anything else. You can't look on a chart or table to figure what prop you should have - the "boat" needs to tell you that (via the tach).

Second - expect to have to put a bit of work into your (new) rig.

The previous owner didn't sell it because it was "perfect" - if it was, it wouldn't have been for sale.

Might simply need a tune-up, new plugs, de-carb etc to get it back into shape or it may need a prop swap if the motor is working too hard...

Since you don't have a tach my best guess is that the prop has too much pitch. A 150 on an 18' boat like yours might turn a 22" pitch ok, but you really need to get your tach working.

Sounds like quite a bit of prop. Often times guys/gals will mistakenly go with some insane amount of pitch because "bubba" said pitch=speed.

It does, but only if you have the required horsepower to turn it - otherwise, it bogs, and limps it's way along overloading the motor until she finally gets the boat to climb out of the water and get on plane.

You need to fix the tach and see what the motor is turning before you try anything else. You can't look on a chart or table to figure what prop you should have - the "boat" needs to tell you that (via the tach).

Second - expect to have to put a bit of work into your (new) rig.

The previous owner didn't sell it because it was "perfect" - if it was, it wouldn't have been for sale.

Might simply need a tune-up, new plugs, de-carb etc to get it back into shape or it may need a prop swap if the motor is working too hard...

Well if the guy that saw it pass him on the water today is serious I may be selling the boat. Either way I would have to do a total rewire of the boat as every owner seems to have cut their way through the wiring harness with no regard to what they were doing.

Since you don't have a tach my best guess is that the prop has too much pitch. A 150 on an 18' boat like yours might turn a 22" pitch ok, but you really need to get your tach working.

Yes I would love to have the tach working. My buddy and I were talking about reworking the wire harness back to a safe and dependable state. on my 90 hp I had on my 15 ft trihull I used a 19" pitch and it would jump to plane in just a couple of seconds.

I would perform a compression and spark test. Read the spark plugs you remove...they can tell you what each cylinder is doing. Plug electrode should be brown, black is too rich, white is too lean, and a clean plug is either not firing or getting water in the cylinder. Be sure to check for waterlogged flotation foam and waterlogged transom, stringers and floor. A heavy boat won't move well.

Last edited:
I would perform a compression and spark test. Read the spark plugs you remove...they can tell you what each cylinder is doing. Plug electrode should be brown, black is too rich, white is too lean, and a clean plug is either not firing or getting water in the cylinder. Be sure to check for waterlogged flotation foam and waterlogged transom, stringers and floor. A heavy boat won't move well.

My boat mechanic will check compression but he thinks the prop is way to much pitch considering it will run 50+mph once it finally planes out.

Back