Logo

2006 4.3 timing

mcfam

I have a 2006 4.3l serial #0w626880 and I have the online service manual and a seloc. I cant find the timing settings or steps on how to do it in either book. Can someone please point me in the right direction?

10 BTDC from manual 25
UntitledTi_zps507c7037.jpg

got another problem I need help installing a new distributor. how do I set it to #1tdc and then match the distributor when I slide it in.

Well.you just change the parameters, what type of dist did you buy? Why do you think you needed a different dist?

serial number shows this usually used with TB-V systems
861252T 1

ICM MODULE, Ignition Control Module

As I am sure you can tell I am new to this. I put the #1 cylinder to tdc( harmonic balancer mark is at o degrees) and then slid the distributor in and it only fits one way, is that correct? Then I will set the cap on so that the #1 plug wire is making contact with the rotor cap. Then I wll fire the motor up and set the timing using the instruction above to 10 BTDC.

you need to be TDC compression stroke, the timing mark will line up on compression and exaust stroke.You can stick your finger or a compression gauge in #1 hole and turn motor feeling for a puff of air to signal the compression stroke. The dist can be installed in any position that locates on the oil pump drive coupling.The oil pump shaft can be turned with a large blade screwdriver to match the dist position. most mechanics will locate the rotor pointing to #1 position of the cap and align the oil pump with a screwdriver untill the dist drops in and goes flush. It must not be sticking up. Once you have it close you simply turn the dist a bit to set the timing. Timing and idle speed can only be done in "base timing mode"
simply changing a dist without the matching ign module may not even work.

Last edited:
Okay, I got the boat running and in time, but the temp alarm won't quit buzzing. How do I check whether it is the sending unit or not and I can't find a part number for it?

there may be more than one sensor that will make the alarm go off.

first locate the sensor for temp reading to guage, on your thermostat housing you will have to two sensors, one on each side, One with the Tan wire should be the temp sender to the dash gauge, the other should be the over temp switch which sends the alarm when over temp is achieved.

There is also a low oil pressure sensor (switch) and a low gear oil sensor (switch) in resevoir on top of motor,

Any one of the three could cause the alarm.

The over temp switch wire if removed and touched to ground (with the key in the on position) will make the alarm go off.

The oil resevoir's low oil sensor will go off if the bottle is held upside down. If that is suspect unplug the wires going to it. the alarm should shut off.

The low oil pressure switch/sensor works the same as the over temp and I beleive it is located down by the oil filter if not it would be at the back of the motor behind the distributor..........not 100% sure

If i am not mistaken the motor has to be running when testing these on the motor. Otherwise when the key is simply turned to the on positon the alarm will go off as it normally does......as no oil pressure is present.

Back