Logo

1992 evinrude 60hp no spark, kill switch wire location

NTXbighorn93

After the CDI went out and was replaced on my motor I'm still not getting spark again an frustration has set in! The cdi was definitely bad which I confirmed with multiple tests I replaced but still no go. I checked the rectifier as well and it tested fine so I suspect that it is either a coil or that the kill switch has gone.
i have searched and searched for the black and yellow kill switch wire.. Could somebody please let me know where it is, a picture possibly?

If anyone else has an idea of what this could be or how I could test?

there should be a black and yellow wire under the cowl with a inline disconnect...trace the wires coming off the power pack to locate it..this wire should be either floating(no voltage or ground)//never any voltage,not even in the milli volt range...if there is any voltage on the wire coming from the controls you will lose the power pack..it goes to ground when you pull the lanyard on the kill switch to kill the motor...disconnect the wire with the disconnect and if you got fire then the problem is either the kill switch or the wiring going to it..be aware that you no longer have the protection of the kill switch with the wire disconnected...

(Ignition Kill Circuit)
(J. Reeves)

A Black wire (ground) should lead from the powerhead to the powerpack. There will also be a Black/Yellow wire leading from the powerpack to a raised "M" terminal of the ignition switch. To complete the circuit, there will be a Black wire from the other "M" terminal of the ignition switch to ground.

When the key is in the OFF position = The two "M" terminals are connected,. effectively shorting/killing the ignition.

When the key in ON position = The two "M" terminals are not connected and the ignition is engaged.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Back