Logo

1989 60 hp shuts down to 2500rpm

lstring

Contributing Member
good morning:
i have a 1989 60 hp evinrude , model #E60ELCEA . i have changed the thermostat and the temp sensor. it still shuts down to 2500 rpm, i have checked temp of motor
when it does this and it 150 degrees , and the water coming out of pisser is cool to the touch.could the buzzer be bad ?
any help would be welcome.

if you replaced the temp sensor you know how to disconnect it close to the sensor. turn the key on, take the disconnected wire from the wiring harness and ground it to engine block, buzzer/ horn/ alarm should sound.

ok i checked the buzzer and it works correctly, can't understand why it shuts down and water is cool to touch. is 150 degrees block temp too hot ...what am i missing ?

assuming buzzer not sounding when shuts down, may not be over heat problem, as the senior members stress-- the basics--compression readings, and 7/16 spark test

Motor temperature, temp sensor, warning horn and wiring seem to be ok. Could be the power pack falsely going into SLOW mode.

Does the motor show that poblem constantly or are there times when you can get higher than 2500 rpm?

every time i try and go fishing it will run fine for about five minutes and go into slow mode. again the water coming out is cool, if i unplug the sensor no problems,(i don't like running without the sensor though)

The motor can be overheating even when peeing cool, e.g. with a thermostat stuck closed or a clogged cooling passage.

What I don't understand is that your problem depends on the temp sensor connection, but yet you get no warning tone although the horn and wiring is tested ok. The CDI trouble shooting guide http://www.cdielectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Troubleshooting-Guide-Inside-Pages.pdf says that SLOW mode can be activated if the tan wires are routed too close to the spark plug wires. What spark plugs are you running? Non-supressor types may do the same.

You can shut off SLOW mode without killing the warning horn and that is what I suggest. Out of the power pack comes a single tan wire (SLOW input) to a bullet connector near the thermostat. Disconnect it and keep the leads away from the spark plug wires. Leave all other tan wires connected. Verify the warning horn again by temporarily shorting the temp sensor to ground. If the motor still goes into SLOW mode, it's not the overtemp signal and you should suspect the power pack.

Another thing you can try is to go out on the water with the cowling off (stay away from moving parts!). The power pack warms up much slower then and if it is the culprit, it should take considerably longer than five minutes to enter SLOW mode.

BTW is the pee hose connected to the engine's exhaust side or to the top? There have been a service bulletin to relocate the pee hose from the side to the top of the engine to prevent air from being trapped in the cooling system.

sorry it took so long to get back internet was down. the pee hose is on the exhaust side, i will look for the service bulletin . i will try the rest of your suggestions i realy thank you guys a lot for your help and will get back to you with results
but it will be Monday or so ,i work weekend shift :(... again thanks a lot.

Back