Logo

No or to much spark on left side 1991 150 Black max

thord_one

I have a 1991 Mercury 150hp v6 Black max... I was having an issue with no spark on the left 3 cylinders
I replaced the ... stater & the Switch box... Now I have to much spark on the left side... What is up with that?
Thank you for any replys

There's supposed to be a balancing (forget correct name) wire going from one switch box to the other. Was that left off?

Jeff

Jeff first let me say thank you. I am unsure I now have my boat at the second repair shop... Dick sherrer's
the tech used his meter to check the spark... on the right side it shows 8 with the original switch box and on the left side now after replacing the switch box with a new one it shows
24 the original switch box put out no or intermintet spark, from what I understand both sides should be 8... He stated to me the only thing we have not replaced is the (trigger) I did not replace the speed control box. All sed and done... Do you know how to create a Balance with the two switch boxes??

Last edited:
Re: Spark problem resolved... New problem

I have a 1991 Mercury 150hp v6 Black max... I was having an issue with no spark on the left 3 cylinders
I replaced the ... stater & the Switch box... Now I have to much spark on the left side... What is up with that?
Thank you for any replys

Spark problem resolved by replacing the inside switchbox and some bad wiring.
Now the problem is the motor will not idel down below 1000 to 1200 and it looes
power at hi speeds.

I replaced these items... fuel filter... switchbox... spark plugs... oil tubing... stator assy... p trigger... air box gasket... bad wiring... these items were replaced by... Dick Sherrer boat repair...

They did resolve the spark issue with my help... HAS ENYONE HEARD OF THE TOP BEARING CAP DIFFERING FROM 1991 TO 2000 My old powerhead was a Mercury 1991 v6 150hp black max... My new powerhead is a Mercury 2000 v6 150hp black max it seems to me the opening for the trigger is different just enough to keep the timing to be off... HELP ... Thank you.

Back