Logo

Testing 1973 Evinrude with no spark

kim1349

I have a 73 50hp with 2 cyl and the power pack.
I have searched these forums for information about the NEON TESTER M80 and found several.
I have a "spark tester" that I can use to check the output spark from the coils. I have no spark by the way.
Most of the tests show the M80 "neon tester" used to perform various tests.
Obviously the M80 is no longer available including on Ebay even.
What exactly does the M80 do? Is it a switch that shorts out the terminals with its button is pressed? Is it a Neon Lamp that goes in series with one or the other of it's wires or maybe across those wires? If I know what the thing was I could make something to use in place of it.
Several of the posts are totally off the track because even if the usual problem is the ignition switch ground out, this does not apply in this case. There was mention of someone sending instructions to test everything without the M80. If that is still available please send it to my email. This motor is on a test stand and there is nothing connected to the multi-connector plug. There is nothing shorting out the red wire. I am jumping the solenoid to start the motor from our test battery connection.
I can pull the flywheel and so on but once and for all I want to solve the "what does the M80" do issue. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

Sparks

The M80 was used before the peak reading voltmeters came along and is obsolete. Now you use a volt/ohm meter with a DVA adapter. Go to cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting procedures.

The M80 was used before the peak reading voltmeters came along and is obsolete. Now you use a volt/ohm meter with a DVA adapter. Go to cdielectronics.com for good trouble shooting procedures.

Thanks for the link and reply.

It talks about disconnecting the DVA... What and where is that?

Back